Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ben Laurie <be...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk> on 1996/06/26 17:32:55 UTC

Style list summary

OK, here's what I've got so far. Check that I have represented your views
correctly in the table at the bottom.

1. Function declarations

a)

int
main(...)

b)

int main(...)

2. Commas

a)
	f(a, b);

b)
	f(a,b);

3. Braces

a)
	while(x) {
	}

b)
	while(x)
	{
	}

c)
	while(x)
	    {
	    }

4. For statements

a)
	for(a ; b ; c)

b)
	for(a; b; c)

5. Comment indentation

a)
	code;
	/* comment */
	code;

b)
	code;
    /* comment */
	code;

6. Switches

Note: Illustrated using 3c.

a)
	switch(x)
	    {
	case a:
	    code;
	case b:
	    code;
	    }

b)
	switch(x)
	    {
	    case a:
		code;
	    case b:
		code;
	    }

7. Function declarations(2)

Note: Illustrated using 1b.

a)
int main(...)

b)
int main (...)

Opinions so far:

	1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Chuck	b a b b a b a
Randy               b
Paul    a a a b a
Ben     b b c a b a a
RST         a     a
Mark    b b a b a b a

Total   b ? a b a ? a

Cheers,

Ben.

London, England.

Re: Style list summary

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@organic.com>.
On Wed, 26 Jun 1996, Ben Laurie wrote:

> OK, here's what I've got so far. Check that I have represented your views
> correctly in the table at the bottom.

(*sigh* I guess I'll jump in here somewhere). Why do I get the feeling
that we're not going to come to agreement on this in the next millenia?
(I've an idea - let's ditch C, and code it in BASIC. I understand that has
a nice, uniform, structure...)

At any rate, my votes are:

1b
2a
3a (except for function declarations, where I like 3b)
4b
5a
6a
7b

-- Alexei Kosut <ak...@organic.com>            The Apache HTTP Server

Re: Style list summary

Posted by Michael Douglass <mi...@texas.net>.
On Wed, 26 Jun 1996, Ben Laurie wrote:

> OK, here's what I've got so far. Check that I have represented your views
> correctly in the table at the bottom.

Not that I have much say since I'm just now starting in on this list;
and possibly some development when time shows it's face:

1b
2a
3a
4b (or a, doesn't really make a difference)
5a
6ab
7a

Just my personal preferences.

Michael Douglass
Texas Networking, Inc.

  "To be a saint is to be an exception; to be a true man is the rule.
   Err, fail, sin if you must, but be upright.  To sin as little as
   possible is the law for men; to sin not at all is a dream for angels."

              - Victor Hugo, "Les Miserables"

Re: Style list summary

Posted by ra...@madhaus.utcs.utoronto.ca.
Ok, a tad cryptic this whole thread, but here are mine:

1b,2a,3a,4b,5a,6a,7a

-Rasmus