Posted to dev@opennlp.apache.org by Jeff Zemerick <jz...@apache.org> on 2021/10/08 22:52:29 UTC

OpenNLP 1.9.4 and 2.0.0

Team,

There have been some minor issues [1] that have been fixed for an upcoming
1.9.4 release. The last release, 1.9.3, was over a year ago so I think we
are due for a release. Please let me know if you have any thoughts about
1.9.4. If I don't hear anything in the next few days I will begin the
release process for 1.9.4.

Looking past 1.9.4 and toward 2.0.0, I have opened a pull request [2] for
OPENNLP-1331 for merge into a 2.0.0-dev branch. This is a pull request that
refactors the interfaces into a common project (opennlp-commons) to allow
for implementations of things like TokenNameFinder, SentenceDetector, etc.
for deep learning. This is unfortunately a large pull request and I
struggled with breaking it up into smaller chunks because even a small
refactor touched a lot of files. Please take a look and if you have any
questions please let me know. There are no functional changes in
OPENNLP-1331.

I personally will be dedicating some time to look more at how
Tensorflow/PyTorch models can be used from OpenNLP in the near future so I
definitely appreciate any feedback on OPENNLP-1331. Any proof of concepts
will likely be built off that branch.

Thanks,
Jeff

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENNLP-1338?jql=project%20%3D%20OPENNLP%20AND%20status%20in%20(Resolved%2C%20Closed)%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%201.9.4%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC%2C%20updated%20DESC
[2] https://github.com/apache/opennlp/pull/395

Re: OpenNLP 1.9.4 and 2.0.0

Posted by Peter Thygesen <pe...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jeff

LGTM
+1

Best regards
Peter Thygesen

Re: OpenNLP 1.9.4 and 2.0.0

Posted by Koji Sekiguchi <ko...@rondhuit.com>.
Hi Jeff,

+1 to 1.9.4 release.

I don't have any objections to 2.0.0. I just don't have time to look at it though I'm very much
interested in that.

Thank you for your effort for that!

Koji