Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com> on 2008/04/01 10:24:25 UTC

Re: Read-Only core

I don't think there is a Jira issue for this yet, but I think we've
made good progress towards this, eg IndexWriter can now delete by
term or query, IndexReader no longer writes a commit lock, etc.

I *think* we don't need to carry over delete by document number
(delete by query should work for most cases)?

Then I think the biggie that remains is setNorm.  But if
LUCENE-1231 / flexible indexing make it more generally possible to
update field values, I guess we'd need to figure out how that would
happen in the context of an IndexWriter.  I think this needs more
fleshing out.  Really, IndexReader, since it holds all these cached
values or can access them all from the Directory, does seem like a
"good" place to manage updates to these values.

But before we get a fully read-only IndexReader, you should still be
able to pare back quite a bit, under oal.index.*, if you're only
doing searching?

Mike