Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Josh Feldman <jo...@eons.com> on 2006/09/11 22:25:14 UTC

Getting started in the QA field

I recent got started for the QA department for my company which is a
website and I was looking for a little guidance in order to do my job
better.

Right now the tools I use are my eyes and ears, and the basic
functionality of jmeter. There are lots of components of the software
that are way over my head.

I realize there is a lot more that I should be learning but I don't know
where to start.

My programming skills are at the novice level at best, I haven't done
actual programming for some time. Therefore I'm not sure what computer
language I should try to learn first. My company's applications are made
primary using Ruby so would it be wise to learn that language? On the
other hand Python has also been suggested to me by my supervisor even
though some of the engineers aren't sure that is the best way to go.

Or should I avoid languages and point my learning in another direction

In addition are there any good websites, books or other media that I
should be reading and following. I'm not sure if this is my final career
but it will be for the time to come.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Josh Feldman

Re: Getting started in the QA field

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Seems to me that it depends on the level of QA whether it is necessary
to have any programming experience or not. If the QA involves
determining whether programming has been done to standards, then of
course one needs in-depth knowledge of the language.

But for testing systems and applications I don't think it is so
necessary. It does help to have some idea of where mistakes are likely
to be made, so that the appropriate conditions can be tested. But I
suspect the same sort of mistakes are likely to be made in any
language, for example boundary conditions, external data validation
etc.

It helps to be familiar with spreadsheets and graphical presentation,
and some knowledge of statistics is essential for performance testing.

For testing web applications, it helps to have at least some idea of
what goes on in the HTTP protocol and TCP/IP.

Just my 2p.