Posted to dev@xmlbeans.apache.org by Isuru Suriarachchi <is...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/16 12:21:11 UTC

Request for GSoC project ideas

Hi all,

I'm an undergraduate student of the Computer Science and Engineering
department at University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanaka. I'm interested in doing a
project on Apache/XMLBeans for the Google Summer of Code 2007 competition.

Currently I'm working as an intern at WSO2 (www.wso2.org) for my industrial
training. By now I have been working on Apache Axis2/Java for more than 5
months. I received the Apache Axis2 Committership for implementing JSON
Support for Axis2. I have posted an article on this implementation with more
details at http://wso2.org/library/768 . I think I have gained reasonable
amount of experiences in open source development through working on this
Apache projects.

So I'm really pleased if someone can suggest me a project idea for GSOC. I
think I will be able to do it well if my proposal will be selected.

Thanks in advance,
Isuru Suriarachchi.

Re: Request for GSoC project ideas

Posted by Isuru Suriarachchi <is...@gmail.com>.
Hi Radu,

Thanks for your reply. But the deadline for submitting proposals for GSoC
was yesterday. So now its too late. But I'll try some XMLBeans project next
time.

Thanks,
~Isuru

Posted by Radu Preotiuc-Pietro <ra...@bea.com>.
Isuru,

First of all, thank you for your interest in XmlBeans and sorry for
taking this long to respond.

As one of the committers on XmlBeans, I think that we absolutely need to
improve on one thing: making sure that we have documents regarding what
we and the community in general see as useful additions to XmlBeans or
new directions to explore. We used to have this for XmlBeans 2.0, but
those became obsolete some time ago and we never replaced them.

That being said, one thing that comes to mind that I have seen a lot of
people interested in was Hibernate integration. It seems that there are
a few places in our Java code generation strategy where the decisions
that we originally made don't align well with the JavaBeans standard and
as such make it difficult to achieve integration with Hibernate.

Having someone look into detail into that and make the necessary changes
in the Java code generator would be great and very useful to a number of
users, if the amount of mailing-list traffic about this is any
indication. So this would seem an interesting project to work on.

Thanks,
Radu

On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 16:51 +0530, Isuru Suriarachchi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm an undergraduate student of the Computer Science and Engineering
> department at University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanaka. I'm interested in
> doing a project on Apache/XMLBeans for the Google Summer of Code 2007
> competition.
>
> Currently I'm working as an intern at WSO2 (www.wso2.org) for my
> industrial training. By now I have been working on Apache Axis2/Java
> for more than 5 months. I received the Apache Axis2 Committership for
> implementing JSON Support for Axis2. I have posted an article on this
> implementation with more details at http://wso2.org/library/768 . I
> think I have gained reasonable amount of experiences in open source
> development through working on this Apache projects.
>
> So I'm really pleased if someone can suggest me a project idea for
> GSOC. I think I will be able to do it well if my proposal will be
> selected.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Isuru Suriarachchi.

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by email and then delete it.