Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/04 23:30:05 UTC

versions:analyze

Hi,

ok so I'm working on a new goal for the versions plugin, analyze (and an
associated report analysis-report)

I would like this goal to highlight potential issues with respect to
versions....

first problem I see is:

1.  Referencing a reactor project as a plugin or plugin dependency consumed
later in the reactor (since plugins must be class-loaded prior to starting
the build life cycle, and the artifacts will not be available until after
the package phase at least

Anyone any other suggestions for possible problems (which are to do with
versions and the reactor)

2. Using a dependency which is produced by the reactor, but not using the
version from the reactor (this is more of a warning than a problem as I can
see times when you might want to do this)

Oh, and by the way, these will not fail the build, that's the job of the
enforcer plugin... I want this report to help steer people towards best
practice

-Stephen

Re: versions:analyze

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.
Sounds like a handy goal.  A few more checks that would be handy until
we have usable version ranges:

- Warn if an artifact's version resolves to a version lower than one
specified in a transitive pom (i.e. a dependency is being downgraded
because it is nearest)

- As above, but also comparing against transitive dependency
management blocks, since dependency management is not transitive.

Mark

Re: versions:analyze

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.

RE: versions:analyze