Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2016/12/23 11:41:29 UTC

[parent] Publishing src Distributions to Nexus?

Hi all

the RC1 vote for Parent 42 failed because it no longer pulishes the
source tarballs/zips to Nexus.

The change was
<https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1755904> which has
obviously been a conscious decision. A decision that I personally agree
with, I've manually removed the source and binary distribution files
from Nexus for Compress more than once.

Is this something we want to revert or do we want to release parent 42
as is?

Stefan

Re: [parent] Publishing src Distributions to Nexus?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 23 December 2016 at 12:35, Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 12:41:29 +0100, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>>
>> Hi all
>>
>> the RC1 vote for Parent 42 failed because it no longer pulishes the
>> source tarballs/zips to Nexus.
>

> It was also requested that the "bin" tar and zip files (and associated
> checksum and hash) be manually removed from Nexus.
>
> A related wish was that "commons-parent" would take care that those
> files are automatically created somewhere (within "target"?) together
> with their associated checksums and hashes.

Alternatively, it might be easier to write a separate script to copy
the non-Maven tarballs to dist/dev/commons
and then remove them from the staging repo. The script could also drop
spurious hashes.
I started working on a script to do that, but got sidetracked.
Won't have time for a week or so to dig that out, but if it seems a
possibiity I could upload the PoC somewhere (sandbox?)

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2016-12-23, Charles Honton wrote:

> Unfortunately, I have reverted that change for the moment.

Many thanks.

With that out of the way I'll try to release parent 42 and we can go
from there with the next parent if we wanted to change the release
process.

Posted by Charles Honton <ch...@honton.org>.
> On Dec 23, 2016, at 3:41 AM, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi all
>
> the RC1 vote for Parent 42 failed because it no longer pulishes the
> source tarballs/zips to Nexus.
>
> The change was
> <https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1755904> which has
> obviously been a conscious decision. A decision that I personally agree
> with, I've manually removed the source and binary distribution files
> from Nexus for Compress more than once.
>
> Is this something we want to revert or do we want to release parent 42
> as is?
>
> Stefan

Stefan,

Unfortunately, I have reverted that change for the moment.  Attaching the source tarballs/zips has the side-effect of creating the checksum files (.md5) and signature files (.asc) for the tarballs/zips.  I have a patch to maven gpg plugin (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MGPG-43 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MGPG-43>) which will allow signing of detached files.  The response from the maven plugins developer mailing list (http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-dev/201612.mbox/%3Cc4f4e035-3e92-30f2-44b8-7c595965750e%40schulte.it%3E <http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-dev/201612.mbox/%3Cc4f4e035-3e92-30f2-44b8-7c595965750e@schulte.it%3E>) was not promising.

chas