Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Stefan Zier <st...@zier.com> on 2010/10/14 18:17:23 UTC

Checkstyle/maven/parent POM

Consider the following hierarchy:

|-- module1
|    `-- pom.xml
|           |-- checkstyle-exclusions.xml
|-- module2
|           `-- pom.xml
|           |-- checkstyle-exclusions.xml
|-- ...
` pom.xml
` checkstyle.xml

The goal is to have a centrally shared checkstyle.xml configuration, while allowing exclusions on a per-module basis. Here are the issues I'm struggling with:

* In checkstyle plugin 2.6, it appears that the suppressionsLocation/suppressionsFileExpression don't work. I spent a significant amount of time trying all manner of settings for those, but the exclusions file was never found.
* In lieu of that, I had to resort to using SuppressionFilter in the checkstyle.xml. The challenge with that is that it needs a relative path, and the path is different when running the parent POM vs. one of the module POMs

Does anybody have a setup such as this running? Am I missing something here?

Stefan Zier
stefan@zier.com

Re: Checkstyle/maven/parent POM

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> * In checkstyle plugin 2.6, it appears that the suppressionsLocation/
> suppressionsFileExpression don't work. I spent a significant amount
> of time trying all manner of settings for those, but the exclusions file
> was never found.

Did you check the source code for the plugin and maybe add some
logging statements to see what's going on there? You may have found a
bug.

Plugins are (generally) super simple to figure out. Check it out and
donate your patch back if you do find a bug.

Wayne