Posted to dev@metron.apache.org by "Yerex, Tom" <to...@ubc.ca> on 2020/04/15 17:24:25 UTC

Centos6 and Centos7 instructions

Good morning,

How does one go about updating the documentation at https://metron.apache.org/current-book/metron-deployment/development/centos6/index.html?

I would like to add a similar page for Centos7, which I see is in the repo. Is there any reason to keep the CentOS 6 page, or should it come down?

Cheers,

Tom.

Re: Centos6 and Centos7 instructions

Posted by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>.
Hi Tom -

The source for
https://metron.apache.org/current-book/metron-deployment/development/centos6/index.html
is
contained in the README at
`metron/metron-deployment/development/centos6/README.md`.  When a release
happens we have a script that generates the site book from the various
documentation bits we have in READMEs in the code base.

The primary purpose
of `metron/metron-deployment/development/centos6/README.md` is describing
how to use the centos6 development environment. Before we remove the
centos6 page, we would just need to make sure the centos7 development
environment has feature parity.  And we would likely remove everything
under `metron/metron-deployment/development/centos6` all at once.

Now to add a README for the centos7 development environment, you would just
add some markdown at the path
`metron/metron-deployment/development/centos7/README.md`. Once a release
happens, that new README.md would be used to generate the site book at the
URL that you mentioned above.

Posted by "Yerex, Tom" <to...@ubc.ca>.
Thanks Justin. I'll take a crack at it tonight and see how it goes.

--Tom.

On 2020-04-15 11:32:18-07:00 Justin Leet wrote:

I believe you should just have to make a similar README to what's in the
Centos6 dir. If you go to the site-book dir and run `mvn site`, you should
be able to open the output in your browser and ensure that your changes are
there.

If I recall correctly, the intent was to eventually drop Centos6 and just
use 7.  It might be worth revisiting that and just dropping 6, moving the
README to 7 and just support 7 going forward.

As a note, the page gets deployed at release time with the latest site-book.

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 1:24 PM Yerex, Tom &lt;tom.yerex@ubc.ca&gt; wrote:

&amp;gt; Good morning,
&amp;gt;
&amp;gt; How does one go about updating the documentation at
&amp;gt; https://metron.apache.org/current-book/metron-deployment/development/centos6/index.html
&amp;gt; ?
&amp;gt;
&amp;gt; I would like to add a similar page for Centos7, which I see is in the
&amp;gt; repo. Is there any reason to keep the CentOS 6 page, or should it come down?
&amp;gt;
&amp;gt; Cheers,
&amp;gt;
&amp;gt; Tom.