Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Joseph Hardeman <jw...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/28 00:38:42 UTC

Replacement for Websphere

Hello everyone,

I am new to the list and I am wondering if there is an Module or API for
Geronimo that could replace Websphere. We are only using it as a deployment
manager and to stop and start our Websphere servers.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Joseph Hardeman
jwhardeman@gmail.com

RE: Replacement for Websphere

Posted by Rob High <rh...@austin.rr.com>.
The request is a little ambiguous, but if you're asking whether Geronimo has
the same J2EE APIs as WebSphere does, and you want to know if you can use
Geronimo in place of WebSphere for basic web application serving (especially
if you already know that Tomcat would work as a substitute), then the answer
should be yes. Like WebSphere, Geronimo is a certified J2EE 1.4 application
server and as such has a high probability of working for any J2EE 1.4
conforming applications. If, on the other hand, you've used some proprietary
WebSphere APIs then the port may be a little more strenuous. Also, Geronimo
has a different administration and deployment model than WebSphere and so
you may have to go through some changes there too. IBM has a distribution of
Geronimo that goes under the WebSphere brand, that you can either use for
free or with a support contract. Even if you don't go that route, there is
some information about migration at the IBM site:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/top-projects/geronimo.html

Rob High
rhigh@ausitn.rr.com

Posted by Joseph Hardeman <jw...@gmail.com>.
Sachin,

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
Don't quite understand what you are looking for.  Could you elaborate?
 From my understanding what you are looking for is some type of