Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tom <tb...@tbee.org> on 2005/07/27 14:32:08 UTC

302 for missing files?

I'm currently using Tomcat 4.1.24 on WXP. The behaviour that is baffling
me, is that when a request goes out for a non existing physical file, TC
returns a 302 (Moved temporarily = redirect) complete with a Location
for redirection (which is a valid path an the entry point somewhere in
the application). As a result, the application gets swamped with request
of the redirection path (on a page with 4 missing images, there are 4
redirection requests). There is a filter in place on other URLs, and it
is correctly not accessed by the request-that-gets-a-302.

So:
- Where does the 302 come from?
- And how can Tomcat know a valid Location for the 302?

The same application in production but then with Apache running before
Tomcat, returns a correct 404.

Tom