Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2022/04/26 15:10:48 UTC

Docker questions

The Docker build currently targets Ubuntu 20.04, which I think is
known as Focal Fossa.

However there is a reference in the build to bionic, which is a
previous release:

echo "deb http://opensource.wandisco.com/ubuntu bionic svn110"

Does that still make sense?

Also I find that there seem to be frequent rebuilds, which can take
quite a long time to complete.
There must be some some items in the long RUN command that are being updated.
Any idea how to find out which they are?

AIUI the reason for grouping lots of updates together is to reduce the
number of intermediate caches that are generated, but the disadvantage
is that a single update forces the entire command to be rebuilt.
Ideally frequently changing software should be installed separately
after the stable stuff. But how to find this out?

Does it make sense to start on the next version of Ubuntu?

Sebb

Re: Docker questions

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 26 Apr 2022 at 18:16, Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Try setting DOCKER_BUILDKIT=1 as an environment variable, then run
> `docker build ...` however you'd normally do. I found a basic overview
> of what buildkit does in this blog post:
> https://www.cloudsavvyit.com/12441/what-is-dockers-buildkit-and-why-does-it-matter/

Thanks again, but using  DOCKER_BUILDKIT=1 does not seem to make any
difference when building Whimsy.

Re: Docker questions

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Docker questions