Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net> on 2014/10/20 17:49:21 UTC

ssl questions

HTTPD: SSL 2 handshake compatibility Yes
TS:    SSL 2 handshake compatibility No

can that be the reason "ab -c 100 -n 100000" fails to a ATS?
keep in mind that don't mean sslv3 or even sslv2 are enabled!

HTTPD: Heartbeat (extension) Yes
TS:    Heartbeat (extension) No

how does ATS that using the same openssl binaries?
"OPENSSL_NO_HEARTBEATS=1" as ENV don't disable it for httpd

Re: ssl questions

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.
Am 20.10.2014 um 21:50 schrieb James Peach:
>> On Oct 20, 2014, at 8:49 AM, Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net> wrote:
>>
>> HTTPD: SSL 2 handshake compatibility Yes
>> TS:    SSL 2 handshake compatibility No
>
> We disabled SSLv2 by default on TS-787, Tue May 17 15:34:41 2011.

that is *not* the same and frankly that breaks not only "ab", also older
browsers - please look at the thread below, handshake compatibility !=
protocol

i have disabled sslv2 *asnd* sslv3 on any httpd without breaking older
clients and combined with the fact that ATS don't support DHE ciphers
"ssllabs" lists *a lot* of clients not able to talk with ATS over TLS

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.devel/54510

>> can that be the reason "ab -c 100 -n 100000" fails to a ATS?
>> keep in mind that don't mean sslv3 or even sslv2 are enabled!
>
> Not really sure about that, but should be easy to test when I get a minute.

see above

>> HTTPD: Heartbeat (extension) Yes
>> TS:    Heartbeat (extension) No
>>
>> how does ATS that using the same openssl binaries?
>> "OPENSSL_NO_HEARTBEATS=1" as ENV don't disable it for httpd
>
> You need to set OPENSSL_NO_HEARTBEATS=1 at OpenSSL build time

i know but.....

> I don't know why we would not be vulnerable to heartbleed with a vulnerable OpenSSL version. I poked around in OpenSSL and mod_ssl for a while and AFAICT heart beats are enabled by default. I didn't see any special knob that would turn it on.

but https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/ says "Heartbeat (extension) No" on
a Fedora 20 machine with ATS and the same OS and SSL binaries than httpd

Re: ssl questions

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.
Am 20.10.2014 um 21:50 schrieb James Peach:

>> On Oct 20, 2014, at 8:49 AM, Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net> wrote:
>>
>> HTTPD: SSL 2 handshake compatibility Yes
>> TS:    SSL 2 handshake compatibility No
>>

> We disabled SSLv2 by default on TS-787, Tue May 17 15:34:41 2011.

but that has nothing to do with "SSL 2 handshake compatibility" i guess

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/

compare the results of HTTPD / ATS
both with no SSLv2 and SSLv3

>> can that be the reason "ab -c 100 -n 100000" fails to a ATS?
>> keep in mind that don't mean sslv3 or even sslv2 are enabled!
>
> Not really sure about that, but should be easy to test when I get a minute.

thanks!

>> HTTPD: Heartbeat (extension) Yes
>> TS:    Heartbeat (extension) No
>>
>> how does ATS that using the same openssl binaries?
>> "OPENSSL_NO_HEARTBEATS=1" as ENV don't disable it for httpd
>
> You need to set OPENSSL_NO_HEARTBEATS=1 at OpenSSL build time

i am aware of that
sadly

"OPENSSL_NO_DEFAULT_ZLIB=1" works as env-var for other historical issues

> I don't know why we would not be vulnerable to heartbleed with a vulnerable OpenSSL version. I poked around in OpenSSL and mod_ssl for a while and AFAICT heart beats are enabled by default. I didn't see any special knob that would turn it on.

well, i just compared https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/ aginst a pure
HTTPD server and a ATS server on the same patch level with Fedora 20 and
wondered that ATS is listed as "Heartbeat (extension) No" while HTTPD
shows a yes

Re: ssl questions

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.
> On Oct 20, 2014, at 8:49 AM, Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net> wrote:
>
> HTTPD: SSL 2 handshake compatibility Yes
> TS:    SSL 2 handshake compatibility No

We disabled SSLv2 by default on TS-787, Tue May 17 15:34:41 2011.

> can that be the reason "ab -c 100 -n 100000" fails to a ATS?
> keep in mind that don't mean sslv3 or even sslv2 are enabled!

Not really sure about that, but should be easy to test when I get a minute.

> HTTPD: Heartbeat (extension) Yes
> TS:    Heartbeat (extension) No
>
> how does ATS that using the same openssl binaries?
> "OPENSSL_NO_HEARTBEATS=1" as ENV don't disable it for httpd

You need to set OPENSSL_NO_HEARTBEATS=1 at OpenSSL build time. I don't know why we would not be vulnerable to heartbleed with a vulnerable OpenSSL version. I poked around in OpenSSL and mod_ssl for a while and AFAICT heart beats are enabled by default. I didn't see any special knob that would turn it on.