Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Johan Kindgren <jo...@home.se> on 2002/09/02 15:00:29 UTC

Running Cocoon programmatically

Hi!

I'm working with a project that uses Cocoon 2.0.2 as a document generator inside WebLogic 6.1.

Right now we are only handling HTTP-requests to generate documents, but we would like to be able to handle programmatic requests from distributed applications. We haven't decided which technology to use for the external interface, but I guess we will end up with either EJB's or SOAP.

My question: Has anyone tried to start Cocoon and programmatically invoking a pipeline, and storing the result as a object?

I've looked at the Commandline interface (org.apache.cocoon.Main) and it seems like a good start, but it feels a bit unnecessary to create two Cocoon instances, one for HTTP requests and one for distributed requests. One apporach might be to rewrite the Cocoon-Servlet, so that when Cocoon is configured and started, the servlet stores a reference of Cocoon in application-scope. Then I could use another servlet to listen for SOAP requests and delegate these to the Cocoon instance.

Is this done anywhere? I can't find any relevant information, but I might be looking at the wrong places or searching for the wrong thing.

With kind regards

/Johan Kindgren

System Developer
Frontec