Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/09 16:03:40 UTC

Re: Inspiring comment about CouchDB on Hacker News

I'll be in Boston next week and plan to spend a good chunk of time
with davisp on the merge. If not actually doing it, since we'd have to
do over, but a trial run through.

For 1.3, I think it's just CORS patch waiting now? No movement in a
while so I wonder if we can agree that if we don't make progress by
the end of this month, we bump it to 1.4. As for couchdb-1175, the
conneg thing, I suggest we bump that to Future or close it. Since we
plan regular time-based releases, bumping should be a normal operation
anyway.

There must be some more minor and not so minor bugs we could fix in
1.3 that are not marked for the release and possibly not even filed. I
encourage everyone to look for those things and tag them for 1.3. A
flurry of small fixes would be great, giving us the foundation for the
merge. I will separately look for any fixes that cloudant have made to
our couchdb code with a view to back porting. I know we have some
important fixes and enhancements to the new 1.2 replicator. Anyone,
dev or user, that spends time finding and filing replicator related
tickets for 1.3 is making a meaningful contribution.

Sent from the ocean floor

Posted by svilen <az...@svilendobrev.com>.
sorry to chime in, i dont know why's it about "win" and "race" (is it
just looking for intrigues and keywords), but this thing -
couchdb + mass_replication - *can* replace e-mail (think IMAP). And put
"state" back into protocol/API-messaging. (eh, with proper
setup/code above it). Thus open doors to much more productive
intra-device/people communication.

keep up the good work!

and have fun
svil

 On Tue, 9 Oct 2012 15:03:40 +0100

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
+1 for master and +1 for branches in future. (Though we have said this
before. Let's mean it this time!)

--
NS

Re: Inspiring comment about CouchDB on Hacker News

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aurélien Bénel <au...@utt.fr>.
> CORS is quite ready.

Cool :)

I'm curious though. How will it be setup in CouchDB?
Will the authorized sites list be defined in the server settings?
Or in design documents? With which granularity (URLs, methods)?

Regards,

Aurélien

Re: Inspiring comment about CouchDB on Hacker News

Posted by Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>.
I hear you and I agree that having the merge happen out of sight is
not the way. It won't be that way, of course. The initial stuff is
fiddly but boring, which is why davisp and I are taking it on. I think
a merge branch will land in our asf repo in a reasonable but
unfinished state. At that point everyone will need to get involved. We
have pending discussions on api changes too (couchdb still has a few
warts when clustered like all_or_nothing, etc). Some of those will be
implemented, others will, rightly, be removed for good. We also will
want to look at perf regressions for single node clusters. The bc
merge itself is the beginning, not the end, of this work.

Great news on CORS. I knew you had a patch but I didn't see it land in
master or get many eyeballs yet. How does everyone feel about having
it land directly into master and have it tested there? Future releases
will be strictly feature branches and merges, but I'd be ok with an
exception here to get this long overdue feature.

Sent from the ocean floor

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
+1 on everything Bob says.

--
NS

Re: Inspiring comment about CouchDB on Hacker News

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
+1 on everything Bob says.

--
NS