Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Marc Lustig <ma...@marclustig.com> on 2002/09/21 12:33:49 UTC

error instantiating Intake with T2.2

Hi again,

is anybody out there who has Intake running with 2.2 successfully?
I have followed the instructions in Intake-HowTo (for Turbine 2.1) and
Intake-Service.
I get the following error when trying to access Intake with a template:

[Sat Sep 21 12:24:27 CEST 2002] -- ERROR -- Could not instantiate tool
org.apache.turbine.services.intake.IntakeTool to add to the context
	Exception:  org.apache.turbine.util.TurbineException: Instantiation failed
for org.apache.turbine.services.intake.IntakeTool
	Stack Trace follows:
	java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.apache.turbine.services.intake.IntakeTool.<init>(IntakeTool.java:90)
	at
sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAcces
sorImpl.java:39)
	at
sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstruc
torAccessorImpl.java:27)
	at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:274)
	at
org.apache.turbine.services.factory.TurbineFactoryService.getInstance(Turbin
eFactoryService.java:396)
rethrown as org.apache.turbine.util.TurbineException: Instantiation failed
for org.apache.turbine.services.intake.IntakeTool
	at
org.apache.turbine.services.factory.TurbineFactoryService.getInstance(Turbin
eFactoryService.java:400)
	at
org.apache.turbine.services.pool.TurbinePoolService.getInstance(TurbinePoolS
ervice.java:484)
	at
org.apache.turbine.services.pull.TurbinePullService.populateWithRequestTools
(TurbinePullService.java:474)
	at
org.apache.turbine.services.pull.TurbinePullService.populateContext(TurbineP
ullService.java:406)
	at
org.apache.turbine.services.pull.TurbinePull.populateContext(TurbinePull.jav
a:145)
	at
org.apache.turbine.services.velocity.TurbineVelocityService.getContext(Turbi
neVelocityService.java:249)

Is this due to changes from 2.1 to 2.2 ?

My entires in TR.props look like this:

services.IntakeService.classname=org.apache.turbine.services.intake.TurbineI
ntakeService
tool.request.om=org.apache.turbine.om.OMTool
tool.request.intake=org.apache.turbine.services.intake.IntakeTool

this is the template:

#set($kundeanlegenGroup=$intake.KundeAnlegen.Default)
<form method="post" action="$link.setAction("kunden.KundenActions")">
#if (!$kundeanlegenGroup.kennung.isValid())
$kundeanlegenGroup.kennung.Message<br>
#end
<input type="Text" name="$kundeanlegenGroup.kennung.Key"
value="$!kundeanlegenGroup.kennung" size="20"></td></tr>
#if (!$kundeanlegenGroup.passwd.isValid())
$kundeanlegenGroup.passwd.Message<br>
#end
<input type="Text" name="$kundeanlegenGroup.passwd.Key"
value="$!kundeanlegenGroup.passwd" size="20"></td></tr>

$intake.declareGroups()
</form>

My intake.xml is attached.

Thanks again.

Marc

RE: AW: which xerces-version to use for Intake? (was: error instantiating Intake with T2.2)

Posted by Dave Everson <dj...@mygolftrac.com>.
Derek,

Here is how we fixed this same issue, we are also using 2.1:

a) download the TDK for 2.2 and just grab the Xerces classes from the
zip file.
b) replace the Xerces classes in WEB-INF/lib with the classes from the
2.2 zip file.
c) replace the Xerces files in the <tomcat>/endorsed with the classes
from the 2.2 zip file.

It may not be the best solution, but it worked for us.
Dave

Posted by Derek Stevenson <de...@retrocode.com>.
Marc,

Re: which xerces-version to use for Intake? (was: error instantiating Intake with T2.2)

Posted by Edwin Gustafson <ed...@caymanchem.com>.
Greetings,

Marc Lustig wrote:

>But looking in the tomcat log let me found an error that is occuring when
>tomcat/turbine is started up (before the first template is requested):
>
>----- Root Cause -----
>java.lang.VerifyError: (class:
>org/apache/turbine/services/intake/transform/XmlToAppData, method: parseFile
>signature:
>(Ljava/lang/String;Z)Lorg/apache/turbine/services/intake/xmlmodel/AppData;)
>Incompatible object argument for function call
>	at

This is *exactly* the error (error java.lang.VerifyError, class
org.apache.turbine.services.intake.transform.XmlToAppData, method
parseFile) I was seeing last week.

Oddly enough, I saw it in the turbine.log, not the Tomcat logs.

In my case, the cause was having xerces-2 from Tomcat 4.1.10 conflicting
with xerces-1 from my TDK 2.1-based Turbine project.

Downgrading to Tomcat 4.0.4, and thus banishing xerces-2 from my
classpath, fixed the problem instantly.

>What else xerces-edition to use here?

I can't say specifically what version of xerces you should be using with
your configuration.  :-(

--
Edwin Gustafson
Cayman Chemical Company

Re: which xerces-version to use for Intake? (was: error instantiating Intake with T2.2)

Posted by Colin Chalmers <co...@maxware.nl>.
I seem to remember an issue we had that meant using Xcerces 1.3x.

/colin

Posted by Marc Lustig <ma...@marclustig.com>.

Posted by Marc Lustig <ma...@marclustig.com>.

RE: AW: AW: AW: error instantiating Intake with T2.2

Posted by Chris K Chew <ch...@fenetics.com>.
>Marc Lustig:
>To be honest, I have no clue where to start looking for the double init
>problem.
>Can you give me a point to start?

Sheesh, I was really hoping the xml location would fix it.

Are you by any chance starting Intake both from the coupled services and
fulcrum?

If you search the user list
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=turbine-user&r=1&w=2) for "double
initialization", there are some posts about a misconfigured server.xml file.
What does yours look like?

Chris

Re: AW: AW: AW: AW: error instantiating Intake with T2.2

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
> From: "Marc Lustig" <ma...@marclustig.com>
>
> To be honest, I have no clue where to start looking for the double init
> problem.
> Can you give me a point to start?

Only thing that springs to mind id to search the mailing list archive.  I am
sure this has occurred before so hopefully there is a solution in there
somewhere.

Sorry I can't be more helpful,

Scott
--
Scott Eade
Backstage Technologies Pty. Ltd.

AW: AW: AW: AW: error instantiating Intake with T2.2

Posted by Marc Lustig <ma...@marclustig.com>.
Hi, Scott,

> I haven't been paying attention to the full details of the post.
> In case it
> helps, here are all the lines from my TR.props that make
> reference to intake
> (turbine 2.1):
>
> services.IntakeService.classname=org.apache.turbine.services.intak
> e.TurbineI
> ntakeService
> tool.request.intake=org.apache.turbine.services.intake.IntakeTool
> services.IntakeService.xml.path=WEB-INF/conf/intake.xml

Mine are exactly the same.

> I am curious to know if you are still receiving the message concerning the
> double initialization of turbine.  If you are then I suggest you
> try and fix
> the double init before approaching the intake problem as there may well be
> some interaction between the two problems (with the second being a
> consequence of the first).

Yep, I still get the double initialitzation first time I request a page.
And after that the exception is thrown:

[Tue Sep 24 11:52:08 CEST 2002] -- INFO -- init
[Tue Sep 24 11:52:08 CEST 2002] -- INFO -- Double initializaton of Turbine
was attempted!
..
Tue Sep 24 11:52:09 CEST 2002] -- INFO -- Finish Initializing service
(late): IntakeService
[Tue Sep 24 11:52:09 CEST 2002] -- ERROR -- Could not instantiate tool
org.apache.turbine.services.intake.IntakeTool to add to the context
	Exception:  org.apache.turbine.util.TurbineException: Instantiation failed
for org.apache.turbine.services.intake.IntakeTool
	Stack Trace follows:
	java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.apache.turbine.services.intake.IntakeTool.<init>(IntakeTool.java:90)
	at
sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAcces
sorImpl.java:39)

To be honest, I have no clue where to start looking for the double init
problem.
Can you give me a point to start?

Thanks!

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
Marc,

I haven't been paying attention to the full details of the post.  In case it
helps, here are all the lines from my TR.props that make reference to intake
(turbine 2.1):

services.IntakeService.classname=org.apache.turbine.services.intake.TurbineI
ntakeService
tool.request.intake=org.apache.turbine.services.intake.IntakeTool
services.IntakeService.xml.path=WEB-INF/conf/intake.xml

I am curious to know if you are still receiving the message concerning the
double initialization of turbine.  If you are then I suggest you try and fix
the double init before approaching the intake problem as there may well be
some interaction between the two problems (with the second being a
consequence of the first).

HTH,

Scott

Posted by Marc Lustig <ma...@marclustig.com>.

Posted by Marc Lustig <ma...@marclustig.com>.
Thanks a lot, Chris!
I have exactly the same entry:
services.IntakeService.xml.path=WEB-INF/conf/intake.xml

and intake.xml is located right there.
But I have another question:

#  I N T A K E   S E R V I C E
#
# -------------------------------------------------------------------
# The location of the xml file specifying valid inputs
#
# Example: org.foo.bar.MyClassLoader, org.ack.joe.YourClassLoader

what is supposed to come here?
Not anything mentioned in the Intake HowTo regarding classloader.

Marc

Posted by Chris K Chew <ch...@fenetics.com>.

Posted by Marc Lustig <ma...@marclustig.com>.
Thanks, Edwin.

> Intake caches the information parsed from WEB-INF/conf/intake.xml in
> WEB-INF/appData.ser.  (The name is kind of obscure, isn't it?  :-( )

There is no such file here. I guess it has not been generated yet.

> Another potential issue is file creation permission in the WEB-INF
> directory.  There's been traffic on this list caused by Intake failiing
> to start up due to the servlet container lacking permission to write to
> WEB-INF/.
>
> You can read more in TurbineIntakeService.java:
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-turbine-2/src/java/org/apach
e/turbine/services/intake/TurbineIntakeService.java?rev=1.5&content-type=tex
t/vnd.viewcvs-markup

>>+ Specifying the basePackage attribute of the input-data element in your
>>intake.xml file

... doesn't help.

Still digging around...

Re: AW: AW: error instantiating Intake with T2.2

Posted by Edwin Gustafson <ed...@caymanchem.com>.
Greetings,

I don't recognize anything in your error output, but I can provide some
information on appData.ser and basePackage:

Marc Lustig wrote:

>>Beyond this, I would try...
>>
>>+ Manually removing the appData.ser file before startup
>>

>What file is this? I couldn't find one with that name.

Intake caches the information parsed from WEB-INF/conf/intake.xml in
WEB-INF/appData.ser.  (The name is kind of obscure, isn't it?  :-( )

In fact, Intake only reads intake.xml when appData.ser is out of date.
 This has caused me confusion in the past.  For instance, I once
restored a backup copy of intake.xml and wondered why Intake didn't seem
to revert to the old configuration.  Of course it saw that appData.ser
was newer than intake.xml and thus just used appData.ser.  Just last
week, the XML parser conflict I mentioned was initally masked by the
fact that Intake was reading appData.ser and thus wasn't exercising Xerces.

Another potential issue is file creation permission in the WEB-INF
directory.  There's been traffic on this list caused by Intake failiing
to start up due to the servlet container lacking permission to write to
WEB-INF/.

You can read more in TurbineIntakeService.java:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-turbine-2/src/java/org/apache/turbine/services/intake/TurbineIntakeService.java?rev=1.5&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

>>+ Specifying the basePackage attribute of the input-data element in your
>>intake.xml file
>>

>Is the base-package supposed to be the root-package of my app
>(de.geoconnect.audiotex.) or de.geoconnect.audiotex.om. ?

Your app:

de.geoconnect.audiotex.

--
Edwin Gustafson
Cayman Chemical Company

Posted by Marc Lustig <ma...@marclustig.com>.
> Last week I tried my application under Tomcat 4.1.10, the latest
> release.  Intake failed to start up due to a conflict between the
> xerces-2 XML parser that ships with Tomcat 4.1.10 and the xerces-1
> parser that Intake for Turbine 2.1 uses.  Downgrading to Tomcat 4.0.4
> resolved the problem.  I have no specific reason to think this might
> apply to your configuration; just something to check.

I use the Tomcat that comes along with TDK 2.2 b3, it is 4.0.4.
And also, I think I eradicated this issue with the xml-parser on the day
after downloading it 3 weeks ago. Before ant would not even build the
application.

> Beyond this, I would try...
>
> + Manually removing the appData.ser file before startup

What file is this? I couldn't find one with that name.

> + Specifying the basePackage attribute of the input-data element in your
> intake.xml file

Is the base-package supposed to be the root-package of my app
(de.geoconnect.audiotex.) or de.geoconnect.audiotex.om. ?

> + Removing the ä's (and other non-US-ASCII characters) from your
> intake.xml file

I have done this.
The initialization works properly. But when I request the template that is
using Intake I get following messages:

[Mon Sep 23 16:08:47 CEST 2002] -- INFO -- init
[Mon Sep 23 16:08:47 CEST 2002] -- INFO -- Double initializaton of Turbine
was attempted!
..
[Mon Sep 23 16:08:47 CEST 2002] -- INFO -- Finish Initializing service
(early): IntakeService
[Mon Sep 23 16:08:47 CEST 2002] -- INFO -- Finished initializing all
services!
[Mon Sep 23 16:08:47 CEST 2002] -- INFO -- Turbine: Completed HTTP
initialization of services
..
[Mon Sep 23 16:08:47 CEST 2002] -- INFO -- Start Initializing service
(late): IntakeService
[Mon Sep 23 16:08:47 CEST 2002] -- INFO -- Finish Initializing service
(late): IntakeService
[Mon Sep 23 16:08:47 CEST 2002] -- ERROR -- Could not instantiate tool
[...]
org.apache.turbine.services.velocity.TurbineVelocity.getContext(TurbineVeloc
ity.java:156)
	at
org.apache.turbine.modules.pages.VelocityPage.doBuildBeforeAction(VelocityPa
ge.java:84)
	at
org.apache.turbine.modules.pages.DefaultPage.doBuild(DefaultPage.java:137)
	at org.apache.turbine.modules.Page.build(Page.java:90)
	at org.apache.turbine.modules.PageLoader.exec(PageLoader.java:123)
	at org.apache.turbine.Turbine.doGet(Turbine.java:563)
	at
org.apache.catalina.servlets.InvokerServlet.serveRequest(InvokerServlet.java
:450)
	at
org.apache.catalina.servlets.InvokerServlet.doGet(InvokerServlet.java:180)

What does that "double initialization" mean?
Is it a problem?

Marc

AW: AW: error instantiating Intake with T2.2

Posted by Marc Lustig <ma...@marclustig.com>.
> + Validate your intake.xml file (often picks up problems)

I use XMLspy to edit the xml-files. It validates automatically.
But I'm working on the other suggestions by Edwin...

Re: AW: error instantiating Intake with T2.2

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.

Posted by Edwin Gustafson <ed...@caymanchem.com>.
Greetings,

Marc Lustig wrote:

>I still haven't got around the Intake instiantiation error.
>
>So I can only recite what Edwin said:
>"I see lots of messages on turbine-user that imply people are using Intake;
>  what do they know that I don't?"
>:-)

Thanks for quoting me!  I get 0.0875 cents per citation, you know.  ;-)

I haven't moved to Turbine 2.2 yet, so this may not apply to you, but I
can give you one new thing to investigate and hopefully rule out:

Last week I tried my application under Tomcat 4.1.10, the latest
release.  Intake failed to start up due to a conflict between the
xerces-2 XML parser that ships with Tomcat 4.1.10 and the xerces-1
parser that Intake for Turbine 2.1 uses.  Downgrading to Tomcat 4.0.4
resolved the problem.  I have no specific reason to think this might
apply to your configuration; just something to check.

Beyond this, I would try...

+ Manually removing the appData.ser file before startup
+ Specifying the basePackage attribute of the input-data element in your
intake.xml file
+ Removing the ä's (and other non-US-ASCII characters) from your
intake.xml file

...to see if they make any difference.  Long shots, but that's what I
would do.

--
Edwin Gustafson
Cayman Chemical Company

Posted by Marc Lustig <ma...@marclustig.com>.
Hi,

I still haven't got around the Intake instiantiation error.
Here are more details from turbine.log

I followed the recent discussions about Intake on the list.
In the archives I found this problem occuring, but no answer to it.
So I can only recite what Edwin said:
"I see lots of messages on turbine-user that imply people are using Intake;
  what do they know that I don't?"
:-)

[Sat Sep 21 20:53:00 CEST 2002] -- INFO -- Start Initializing service
(early): IntakeService
[Sat Sep 21 20:53:00 CEST 2002] -- INFO -- Finish Initializing service
(early): IntakeService
[Sat Sep 21 20:53:00 CEST 2002] -- INFO -- Finished initializing all
services!
[Sat Sep 21 20:53:00 CEST 2002] -- INFO -- Turbine: Completed HTTP
initialization of services
[Sat Sep 21 20:53:00 CEST 2002] -- INFO -- Start Initializing service
(late): UploadService
[Sat Sep 21 20:53:00 CEST 2002] -- INFO -- Finish Initializing service
(late): UploadService
[Sat Sep 21 20:53:00 CEST 2002] -- INFO -- Start Initializing service
(late): AssemblerBrokerService
[Sat Sep 21 20:53:00 CEST 2002] -- INFO -- Finish Initializing service
(late): AssemblerBrokerService
[Sat Sep 21 20:53:00 CEST 2002] -- INFO -- Start Initializing service
(late): LocalizationService
[Sat Sep 21 20:53:00 CEST 2002] -- INFO -- Finish Initializing service
(late): LocalizationService
[Sat Sep 21 20:53:00 CEST 2002] -- INFO -- Start Initializing service
(late): IntakeService
[Sat Sep 21 20:53:00 CEST 2002] -- INFO -- Finish Initializing service
(late): IntakeService
[Sat Sep 21 20:53:00 CEST 2002] -- ERROR -- Could not instantiate tool
[...]
FilterChain.java:247)