Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Aditya Sharma <ad...@apache.org> on 2019/06/13 05:22:20 UTC

Reply-to address missing for dev and user mailing list

Hi team,
It seems reply-to address configuration is missing for some emails from dev
and user mailing list (for reference see *Removing support for global
"ofbiz-containers.xml"*) while I can still find it on the notifications
mailing list.
Anyone having any idea about it?

Thanks and regards,
Aditya Sharma

Re: Reply-to address missing for dev and user mailing list

Posted by Richard Siddall <ri...@elirion.net>.
Should the reply-to header be the list address or the address of the
person whose post you are replying to?

	Richard.

Posted by Deepak Dixit <de...@apache.org>.

Posted by Suraj Khurana <su...@hotwax.co>.
Hello,

I think if someone clicked on reply button, the originator of the email
should not be included directly in 'To'. This ia common industry best
practice. I am inclined with Aditya's thought here.

--
Best Regards,
Suraj Khurana

Posted by Mathieu Lirzin <ma...@nereide.fr>.
Hello Jacques,

Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> writes:

> Le 14/06/2019 à 11:03, Aditya Sharma a écrit :
>> The sole purpose of the mailing list is served only when the emails are
>> sent on the list so reply being its primary action need to point to the
>> list only.
>
> Do we need a vote here to temporarily adopt the not optimal solution
> (as in INFRA-18478), Mathieu?

IMO There is no need to vote formally, it appears that my arguments
didn't convince anyone (except you who wanted to think more about it).
So let's go for the “wrong” solution for now. :-)

> And should we create a specific thread to decide on what do as optimal
> (ie based on a consensus or even a vote)?
>
> Please refer to the links I posted above as food for thoughts, I copy them here:

> http://david.woodhou.se/reply-to-list.html

Thanks.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 14/06/2019 à 11:03, Aditya Sharma a écrit :
> The sole purpose of the mailing list is served only when the emails are
> sent on the list so reply being its primary action need to point to the
> list only.

Though I don't think

    "The sole purpose of the mailing list is served only when the emails are sent on the list"

and I don't like much statistics (percentage of other uses here), I tend to agree with you Aditya.

I rarely answer directly to a person before exchanging with her/him and then sending to the dev ML.
And when I do that I simply use "Reply All" and remove the dev ML before sending.

I must though say that I'm lucky to use Thunderbird which has the "Reply list" button (not OOTB IIRW).
So I'm able to never send a respond to dev ML, AND other people, in much cases.

But at the moment those who have not a such functionality at hand and want the same (reply only to list) must manually change things.
It's a bummer when you have other more important things to think about and do.

Do we need a vote here to temporarily adopt the not optimal solution (as in INFRA-18478), Mathieu?

And should we create a specific thread to decide on what do as optimal (ie based on a consensus or even a vote)?

Please refer to the links I posted above as food for thoughts, I copy them here:

http://david.woodhou.se/reply-to-list.html

Thanks

Jacques

Re: Reply-to address missing for dev and user mailing list

Posted by Aditya Sharma <ad...@apache.org>.
>> Answering myself: maybe we can ask infra to add reply-to as in
INFRA-18478 while we discuss a better solution.
+1

>> For instance, I received 2 versions (one to the dev ML, one directly to
me) from (almost?) all people welcoming Pawan and Deepak.
>> As it does not make sense to filter emails sent directly to me, all
those messages (both of them) end in my main inbox folder and I have to put
them manually in OFBiz.
Exactly. This way, we cannot ensure that people will exclude personal email
ids from reply-all and using reply it will always send the email
personally.

The sole purpose of the mailing list is served only when the emails are
sent on the list so reply being its primary action need to point to the
list only.

My 2 cents
Thanks and regards,
Aditya Sharma

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
BTW, I also receive duplicates from myself when sending to some OFBiz MLs like private or security. I'm eager to set Thunderbird to avoid that :)

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Mathieu and Paul,

Posted by Paul Foxworthy <pa...@cohsoft.com.au>.
Hi all,

wrote:

> Hello Jacques,
>
> Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> writes:

> to be bothered by that for all of them.
> that.
> >>
> >> If you have a huge pile of ML subscriptions (50? 100?), you can
> >> configure your email client incrementally each time you send an email to
> >> a list that is not already configured and someday they will eventually
> >> all be properly configured. \o/
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> > I tried but could not find a way in a reasonable time
>
> After doing some research I have found a documentation [1] which is not
> directly about setting the ‘Reply-to’ header but the ‘Mail-Followup-To’
> and ‘Mail-Reply-To’ headers which are workarounds for the “reply-to
> munging” done by mailing-lists [2].
>
> After configuring Thunderbird this way, people using Mail User Agents
> (MUA) understanding those headers [3] will not have to remember to
> remove you from the recipient list when responding to the list.
>
> I haven't found any information regarding Gmail or other Webmail
> clients, but hopefully they understand those headers too.
>
> Thanks.
>
> [1]
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Help_Documentation:Mail-Followup-To_and_Mail-Reply-To
> [2] http://cr.yp.to/proto/replyto.html
> [3] https://www.leptonite.org/mft/software.html
>
> --
> Mathieu Lirzin
> GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37

--
Coherent Software Australia Pty Ltd
PO Box 2773

Phone: +61 3 9585 6788
Web: http://www.coherentsoftware.com.au/
Email: info@coherentsoftware.com.au

Re: Reply-to address missing for dev and user mailing list

Posted by Mathieu Lirzin <ma...@nereide.fr>.
Hello Jacques,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Mathieu, All,

Posted by Mathieu Lirzin <ma...@nereide.fr>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Mathieu Lirzin <ma...@nereide.fr>.
Hello Jacques

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Aditya,

1st please when you answer to dev ML don't add my email to this answer. I continuously and indefectibly follows this ML (as we are required as
committer). I have an email filter to redirect all dev ML emails to a dev ML folder in my email clients (Thunderbird). Actually I have 263 such
filters (OK I filter a lot :D). It's not much about you but I have seen a such pattern appearing these last times. So please guys, we don't need a copy ;)

OK I have not this problem because I tweaked Thunderbird to have only 2 buttons:

  * "Reply to list" (it exists OOTB and works only for MLs) and
  * "Reply to All" OOTB also I then remove the ones I don't want to send to.

This said I don't use Gmail (seen in your screenshots) and I'm not confident in any Google tools at all, I only use them when I'm forced to, paid work
generally. So I understand now this burst of copies I speak about above (striked out, but not in plain text). And I guess I had to make the changes I
speak above when this started to happen. I have no clues yet. I'll 1st look to see if we can resolved that by ourselves, I guess we will need Infra help.

I'll keep you informed

Jacques

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 13/06/2019 à 13:35, Aditya Sharma a écrit :
> Sorry for bothering you for that Jacques. Even I like my inbox clean and it
> bothers me when any filtered email finds it's way to my inbox. Anyways I
> will be more careful further.

Oh I did not mean that, actually I did not get your mail at 1st reading and then striked the 1st section of my email out, but of course it does not
work for plain text.

> But yes we cannot expect everyone using the mailing list making sure to use
> the right way (manually removing the personal email ids).
>
> Thanks Deepak for sharing the ticket :)

Yes that's it. Who will handle it?

Jacques

Posted by Aditya Sharma <ad...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
+1

Jacques

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 13/06/2019 à 14:27, Aditya Sharma a écrit :
>>> Yes that's it. Who will handle it?
> I will raise a Jira at infra if it's fine.

Please wait Aditya, I think Mathieu has a point here and we need to clarify
See my last previous message in response to him.

Thanks

Jacques

Re: Reply-to address missing for dev and user mailing list

Posted by Aditya Sharma <ad...@apache.org>.
>>It was working for a very long time and I suddenly these burst of
duplicates, as Aditya found, don't you?
Exactly

>> Yes that's it. Who will handle it?
I will raise a Jira at infra if it's fine.

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 5:55 PM Jacques Le Roux <

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
> OK we need to clarify this with Infra, your link should help.
> We should discuss it before exposing our conclusions to Infra
>
> My 2cts
>
> Jacques
Answering myself: maybe we can ask infra to add reply-to as in INFRA-18478 while we discuss a better solution.

Doing that, we should let them know that we are not totally satisfied with the reply-to solution and are discussing about it. Maybe they will suggest
something!

At least in the meantime we will not get all those duplicates :/

Of course for that we must agree it's a temporary solution... At least as long as we can't agree on better....

Jacques

Re: Reply-to address missing for dev and user mailing list

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
> Matthieu,
>
> Le 13/06/2019 à 14:08, Mathieu Lirzin a écrit :
>> Hello Deepak,
>>
>> Deepak Dixit <de...@apache.org> writes:
>>
>>> On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 4:14 PM Mathieu Lirzin <ma...@nereide.fr> wrote:
>>>
>>>   Hello Aditya,
>>>
>>>   Aditya Sharma <ad...@apache.org> writes:
>>>
>>>   > We can configure reply-to email address for the mailing list which means
>>>   > when the user clicks the reply button, the specified email address will be
>>>   > automatically in the *To* field.
>>>
>>>   I know some people here prefer their personal email address to not
>>>   appear in the ‘To’ header when replying to them and the mailing-list but
>>>   that's a personnal preference that can/should be defined only by the
>>>   sender of a message not the administrators of a mailing-list. [1]
>>>
>>>   Please configure your email client to add the ‘Reply-to’ header
>>>   accordingly, but let others have different preferences. :-)
>>>
>>> I think if we are doing communication on the mailing list, its good to
>>> have mailing list address in reply-to irrespective personal
>>> preference.  We can ask infra for the same.
>> I will answer to you by using a citation from
>> <http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html>

>> Some administrators justify Reply-To munging by saying, "All responses
>> should go directly to the list anyway." This is arrogant. You should
>> allow me to decide exactly how I wish to respond to a message. If I feel
>> a public response is justified, I'll hit the "g" key and tell Elm to do
>> a group-reply. If I believe a private response is more appropriate, I'll
>> use "r" to send one. Please allow me the freedom to decide how to handle
>> a message.
>>
>> Please read the arguments provided by this short article. I hope it will
>> let you understand the drawbacks of what you are proposing.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Then we should ask what Infra was doing before and discuss about it.
> I hope that we will find a consensus and in the process discover why this changed recently. I like the way it worked so far
>
> Jacques

Ah, I just tried something and I think I got your point.

You don't want to have to manually put the email address/es you want to respond to by hand.

And when I try to answer to myself to the message I answer here, I can only answer to the ML.

On the other hand, some months ago (in 2018 IIRW) I dropped the Reply to button.
It was because the behaviour then changed.
And it was easier then for me to have only a "Reply to list" and "Reply all" buttons.
Since then I use that and it's OK with me. I just have to remove now and then few email address I don't want to send when using the "Reply all" button.

And using "Reply all" for your last message I answer not only to you, but also to Deepak, Aditya and the ML.
So I clearly miss a "Reply to" button in this case (If I want to reply only to you).

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Matthieu,

Posted by Mathieu Lirzin <ma...@nereide.fr>.
Hello Deepak,