Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Manpreet Singh <ma...@eyesmaxsoftware.com> on 2002/03/12 11:03:46 UTC

Rendering documents thru servlets

Hi,

We are using Tomcat 4.0.1 and Apache1.3.22 for our servlet support.
A servlet is used to dish out different files to the requesting clients(browsers).

If the request is for fetching jpeg/gif files, the contents are displayed properly in the browser window.
But if the request is made to fetch a ppt/pdf or other word document files, the contents are not displayed and a message is shown " Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found"
(Microsoft Office suite and Acrobat Reader are installed on my machine)

Now if i add 8080 to my request, i.e. passing the request directly to tomcat, the files are displayed properly. But this is not what i would like, as putting 8080 restricts me from accessing my servlet from behind the firewall which just allows communication to port 80.

I have tried using Tomcat3.2.3 but have found the same problem.

Please help!!

Regards,
Manpreet