Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Sander Smeenk <ss...@freshdot.net> on 2002/04/09 13:21:49 UTC

svn upgrade -> db unusable

Hi,

There's a lot about SVN that I really like, but there's one thing that I
dislike.  Each time I upgrade my SVN, my old repositories become
unusable:

| Could not open the SVN filesystem at /var/svn/pj/  [500, #21048]
| (2)No such file or directory: bad database version: 3.2.9  [500, #21048]

I heared someone posted a method to fix the databases to the new
'database version', but I couldn't find the post. Will that someone
please post it again and/or submit it to the FAQ over at
http://subversion.tigris.org/ ?

Thanks alot,
Sander.

Re: svn upgrade -> db unusable

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 03:21:49PM +0200, Sander Smeenk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There's a lot about SVN that I really like, but there's one thing that I
> dislike.  Each time I upgrade my SVN, my old repositories become
> unusable:
>
> | Could not open the SVN filesystem at /var/svn/pj/  [500, #21048]
> | (2)No such file or directory: bad database version: 3.2.9  [500, #21048]
>
> I heared someone posted a method to fix the databases to the new
> 'database version', but I couldn't find the post. Will that someone
> please post it again and/or submit it to the FAQ over at
> http://subversion.tigris.org/ ?

there's a script in the tools subdir to do it.  enable-dupkeys.sh is
it, if i recall correctly.

-garrett

--
garrett rooney                    Remember, any design flaw you're
rooneg@electricjellyfish.net      sufficiently snide about becomes

Re: svn upgrade -> db unusable

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Sander Smeenk <ss...@freshdot.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> There's a lot about SVN that I really like, but there's one thing that I
> dislike.  Each time I upgrade my SVN, my old repositories become
> unusable:

Subversion is still in development and has not yet released the first
stable version. See http://subversion.tigris.org/project_faq.html#stable

"Is Subversion stable enough for me to use for my own projects?
 Yes and No.

 We say "Yes" becasue [snip]

 We say "No" because there's a good chance that the filesystem might
 change before we go 1.0, and we don't plan on writing and testing and
 shipping conversion utilities."

> | Could not open the SVN filesystem at /var/svn/pj/  [500, #21048]
> | (2)No such file or directory: bad database version: 3.2.9  [500, #21048]

This indicates that you have a BerkelyDB version mismatch. Have you
managed to link mod_dav_svn against db-3.2.9 (I don't think this is
possible)?  More likely, do you have apache linked against db-3.2.9?
Subversion requires you to use db-4.0.14, see section 6 in INSTALL.

--
Philip