Posted to dev@drill.apache.org by Muhammad Gelbana <m....@gmail.com> on 2017/05/28 12:42:55 UTC

Why isn't Drill using a more recent version of Calcite ?

Drill is using Calcite v1.4 while it has already reached v1.12. For myself,
there is no reason to upgrade at the moment but I'm wondering why haven't
Drill upgraded it's used version of such a core component as Calcite for a
bit more than a year and a half now ?

*---------------------*
*Muhammad Gelbana*
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mgelbana

Re: Why isn't Drill using a more recent version of Calcite ?

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
It's not exactly true that "calcite came from drill". Calcite was
originally called Optiq. Drill was the second project to use Optiq
(Cascading was the first) and Optiq was a pretty significant code base
(almost 200k lines of code) when Drill started to use it.

Drill created their own branch/fork of Calcite but didn't keep up with
Calcite master[1], and eventually they gave up. (Blame on both sides.
It's hard to evolve a framework because people are using APIs, and
relying on behavior, that you never thought of as "public". So, each
time Calcite releases it is a small tax on Drill to keep up.)

Much of the work done to Calcite applies to the core (e.g. better
rules for pushing filter through grouping sets, improving how we
deduce constraints and simplify expressions) and Drill could benefit
from that. Drill do cherry-pick the occasional feature.

Julian

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DRILL-4093