Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Sternbergh, Cornell" <rs...@state.pa.us> on 2004/03/15 13:15:53 UTC

[users@httpd] Email Etiquette

Good morning all

>mount soapbox

I hope y'all don't mind, but I'd like to offer a couple of reminders.

First, it's always a good idea to use the subject line for a meaningful
subject.  The subject should indicate, as precisely as possible in a
short line, the "subject" of the message.  That's why it's referred to
as a "subject".  This is good practice for all emails.  Subjects like
"Help" or "Question" aren't very useful, particularly with a list like
this, as aren't all the emails in reference questions asking for help.
If you find yourself using such subjects, take a look at the rest of the
list and see all the meaningful subjects being used. Such as (picked at
random) "serving static content with apache 2.0.46" or "apache in front
of mult Tomcat w/o load balancing".

Second, for this list, and any recipient whose email client is unknown
to you, use Plain Text.  HTML should NEVER be used, as it gives no
functionality not in Rich Text (or Styled), except the opportunity to
spread viruses.  It also consumes huge bandwith and disk space over Rich
Text.  Rich Text consumption is a bit more than Plain Text, but nowhere
near HTML.  And, unless you know your recipient can handle Rich Text,
don't use it either.  And, of course, with a list like this, there's no
way of knowing the clients the users use, hence, stick with Plain Text.

>dismount

Thank you
Cornell Sternbergh

Re: [users@httpd] Email Etiquette

Posted by shane c branch <sc...@barton.edu>.
Sternbergh, Cornell wrote:

> Good morning all
>
>>mount soapbox
>
> I hope y'all don't mind, but I'd like to offer a couple of reminders.
>
> First, it's always a good idea to use the subject line for a meaningful
> subject.  The subject should indicate, as precisely as possible in a
> short line, the "subject" of the message.  That's why it's referred to
> as a "subject".  This is good practice for all emails.  Subjects like
> "Help" or "Question" aren't very useful, particularly with a list like
> this, as aren't all the emails in reference questions asking for help.
> If you find yourself using such subjects, take a look at the rest of the
> list and see all the meaningful subjects being used. Such as (picked at
> random) "serving static content with apache 2.0.46" or "apache in front
> of mult Tomcat w/o load balancing".
>
> Second, for this list, and any recipient whose email client is unknown
> to you, use Plain Text.  HTML should NEVER be used, as it gives no
> functionality not in Rich Text (or Styled), except the opportunity to
> spread viruses.  It also consumes huge bandwith and disk space over Rich
> Text.  Rich Text consumption is a bit more than Plain Text, but nowhere
> near HTML.  And, unless you know your recipient can handle Rich Text,
> don't use it either.  And, of course, with a list like this, there's no
> way of knowing the clients the users use, hence, stick with Plain Text.
>
>>dismount
>
> Thank you
> Cornell Sternbergh

I would only add: please trim quotes when appropriate.

--
regards,

shane