Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org> on 2014/10/08 13:10:11 UTC

Re: [iOS 8] Status of WKWebView work

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 2:40 PM, Shazron <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I figure I will write this all up before the official release of iOS 8 next
> week (probability high) and everyone asking about support.
>
> It has stalled because the WKWebView cannot load files using the file://
> protocol since iOS 8 beta 4.
>
> This bug has been filed with Apple weeks ago:
> http://www.openradar.me/radar?id=5839348817723392
>
> I even checked WebKit check-ins if there was any progress, so far, no:
>
> http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/Source/WebKit2/UIProcess/API/Cocoa?order=date&desc=1
> (but it's entirely possible the loading code is in another part of the
> tree).
>
> The alternative is to run a local web server, which works great. However,
> this will open up a can of worms possibly with Apple, I'm not sure.

Shaz, did you implement a prototype with a local web server? Would be
useful to see how the code for this works.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.
Ok, I completed the plugin.

cordova plugin add https://github.com/shazron/CordovaLocalWebServer.git

.. then follow the instructions printed after it installs.

Repo: https://github.com/shazron/CordovaLocalWebServer

File issues: https://github.com/shazron/CordovaLocalWebServer/issues

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.
Brian:
The chances are small, but a backgrounded app could access the local web
server of the foregrounded Cordova app. If it knew the port (which it may,
through humans inspecting the config.xml in the .app beforehand)

Joe:
Don't have answers to all of those yet, haven't tested that specifically.
I'll release the plugin (soon), test, and let others test as well.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com>.
On Linux, it's pretty easy to listen only on localhost, I don't know how difficult it is here. I would think that even for an experimental plugin, not being accessible to peers is really important. Not being accessible to other local apps will likely become important in the future.

It still scares me that a local http server is the solution, but alas I see how there aren't other options available yet. Crossing fingers for a fix from Apple in iOS 8.1...

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by purplecabbage <pu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Homer, Tony" <to...@intel.com>.
The Intel XDK Legacy iOS container source is not available, but the local web server is based on CocoaHTTPServer:
https://github.com/robbiehanson/CocoaHTTPServer

It sounded like Shazron already has this working – I was just sharing that, based on my experience, adding a local web server will not be a problem with Apple.
That being said, if any help is needed, I’d be glad to help however I can.

From: Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>>
Date: Wednesday, October 8, 2014 at 11:43 AM
To: Tony Homer <to...@intel.com>>
Cc: dev <de...@cordova.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: [iOS 8] Status of WKWebView work

Tony - is the code for that available anywhere?

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 7:48 AM, Homer, Tony <to...@intel.com>> wrote:

>The alternative is to run a local web server, which works great. However,
>this will open up a can of worms possibly with Apple, I'm not sure.

FWIW, the Intel XDK Legacy iOS container runs a local web server that all
content is served from.

Lots of apps have been published - no problem with Apple about this
feature.

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Posted by "Homer, Tony" <to...@intel.com>.