Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Manoj Mallawaarachchie <li...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/14 08:04:39 UTC

Axis 2 Micro Edition for Mobile Devices[Proposal]

Dear All,

I have  submit a proposal for developing a light weight version of Axis2 for
mobile device. Please hava a vist to following URL and please send me more
comments. Hope you are like to join the design and  development.

http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Proposals/Axis2MicroEdition

Thank you,
Manoj
--
use the FORCE read the SOURCE
www.linux.lk

Re: Axis 2 Micro Edition for Mobile Devices[Proposal]

Posted by Manoj Mallawaarachchie <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi ,

Thank  Tom and Ias, Will keep the project under mirae, and develop it.

Manoj

Posted by Changshin Lee <ia...@gmail.com>.
Manoj,

Posted by Tom Jordahl <tj...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Manoj,

Posted by Manoj Mallawaarachchie <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ias,

On 2/17/06, Changshin Lee <ia...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Manoj,
>
> 2006. 02. 17, 오후 6:53, Manoj Mallawaarachchie 작성:
>
> > Hi Ias,
> >
> > First of all thank you verymuch for positive feedback and all the
> > information.
> > Please see my replay alone with your comments.
>
> It's my pleasure to have your nice proposal.
>

> > On 2/17/06, Changshin Lee <ia...@gmail.com> wrote: Hi Manoj,
> >
> > 2006. 02. 14, 오후 5:48, Manoj Mallawaarachchie 작성:
> >
> > > Hi Ias,
> > >
> > > Thank you for your comment and guide lines. I subscribed to mirae
> > > mailling list.  Actually I'm not going to implement JSR 172, I
> > > suppose to use what ever implementation like Mirae or Kosap etc.
> > > But basic idea for create lightweight version of Axis2.
> > >
> > > What you think of my  senarios and basic architecture ?
> >
> > 1. Could you explain a little bit more about MSISDN?
> >
> >    Actually MSISDN mean in telecommunicatin worl is :
> > Mobile Subscriber ISDN Number
> >
> > Mobile Station ISDN/PSTN Number
> >
> > The number used to call a mobile subscriber. An MSISDN consists of
> > a country code, a national destination code and a subscriber number.
> >
> > MS ISDN number
> >
> > Mobile Station international ISDN. Country code + national
> > destination code + subscriber number. Identifies a mobile subscriber.
>
> I'd appreciate your explanation, which helps me understand those
> jargons.

Thanks

> > 2. Scenario 1 seems that web services are on top of SMS (or MMS)
> > transport protocol, of which binding is not defined in WSDL. Do you
> > intend to communicate with SOAP/SMS and without WSDL on your proposal?
> >
> > Yes, It's have send SOAP over SMS. Your question is correct, But in
> > SMS applications, like if you send SMS to some port like 8888 and
> > ask some sport updates, the application and SMSC are communicate
> > with SMPP protocol(most of the cases) that application should have
> > a capability of interprit reserved SOAP message. Basically it is
> > additional later between WS engine and the SMS reserver. This layer
> > hand over reserved SOAP message to WS engine like Axis and do some
> > action or send SOAP response. It's kind of mediater.(it's
> > basically  gateway to SMSC).
> >
> > In Axis point of view Axis have to have SMS transpost protocol
> > capability.
> > Is this you mean by? please let me know.
>
> Yes, the SMS transport protocol support. I also mentioned about the
> possibility in my presentation of ApacheCon 2005 Europe. Please refer
> to http://www.iasandcb.pe.kr/resources/ApacheCon2005.pdf ,
> particularly p18. One thing I'd like to tell you about the idea is
> that you are supposed to leverage JSR 205 to provide such a transport
> support.

Thank for resources. Will look in to it.

> > 3. Your scenarios and component stack look pretty close to JSR 279 at
> > http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=279. In addition to that,
> > manipulating XML messages requires some XML infoset model in Java ME,
> > so JSR 280 is supposed to provide DOM. Those two JSRs are going to
> > release its early draft in March, I recommend your reviewing them and
> > designing on them.
> >
> >  Thank for info , I'll consider it .
>
> Currently Mirae ws uses StAX for message oriented programming model,
> so there's no XML infoset facility in Mirae yet because there's no
> such standard in Java ME. Now JSR 280 is attempting to define a light-
> weight DOM API suitable for Java ME and partially from JSR 226 SVG
> API for Java ME. Please refer to JSR 226 spec to predict how JSR 280
> is going to derive its DOM API from JSR 226.

I'll read it.

> > 4. Mirae C++ is very very interesting, and actually some asked me why
> > there's no such :-) Personally, I'd like you to start Mirae C++ first
> > and think that it would be attractive and unique since there are
> > already several Java ME web services implementations  such as Sun's
> > WTK and Nokia's SDK.
> >
> > Yes we have to learn more about Symbian C++ , But some mobile
> > device  manufacturers are not use Symbian,  But we can keep our
> > architecture platform independent , so our model can implement in
> > what ever technology even MS smart phones.
> >
> > Please vist following links for developer info for Symbian
> >
> > Getting Start
> > http://www.symbian.com/developer/techlib/papers/cpp_gettingstarted.asp
> >
> > Java and Symbian
> > http://www.symbian.com/developer/techlib/papers/java_MIDP.asp
> >
> > Example Codes
> > http://www.symbian.com/developer/techlib/staffapps.html
> >
> > Tech Papers
> > http://www.symbian.com/developer/techlib/index.html
> >
> > Symbian OS Tools
> > http://www.symbian.com/developer/downloads/tools.htm
>
> Thanks for your references.
>

> > 5. Mirae has the following modules:
> > jaxp: an implementation of the JSR 172 JAXP subset
> > jaxrpc: an implementation of the JSR 172 JAX-RPC subset on top of
> > jaxp module
> > stax: an implementation of the StAX ME (which will be in JSR 280)
> > ws: an implementation of the JSR 172 JAX-RPC subset on top of stax
> > module + extra features
> >
> > Good work. Thanks.
> >
> > I hope you would come up with some new modules (e.g. Mirae C++ ,
> > Mirae messaging, and so on) by revising your proposal.
> >
> > Yes sure, I'll do. give couple of days to think and read the stuff.
>
> I'll look forward to it.

I will.

> > Thanks for your nice work on that,
> >
> > Thank you too.
> >
> > By the way I Add some additional info regarding SMS basic GSM
> > network in following links , which will help for developers who
> > think of SMS transports protocol for SOAP.
> >
> > 1) Short Message Service , How? What ? and Where?
> > http://www.wirelessdevnet.com/channels/sms/features/sms.html
> >
> > 2) How Does SMS work
> > http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?
> > New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,case=obj(36350)
> >
> > 3)How SMS work
> > http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/sms.htm/printable
> >
> > 4) SMS and the PDU format
> > http://www.dreamfabric.com/sms/
> >
> > 5) Say Hello in SMS world
> > http://www.dreamfabric.com/sms/hello.html
> >
> > 6) 7-bit Default Alpahbet
> > http://www.dreamfabric.com/sms/default_alphabet.html
> >
> > 7)Flash SMS
> > http://www.dreamfabric.com/sms/alert.html
>
> These references deals with SMS itself, but actually all you need for
> SMS on Java ME is Wireless Messaging API, http://java.sun.com/
> products/wma/ . In reality, many mobile phones support WMA on top of
> MIDP.

Yes correct.

> > Please keep in touch and give some guide lines, I'll look at JSR
> > 279 and send some feed back
>
> Sure, I'll also bring any news from JSR 279 and 280 when it becomes
> publicly available.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Posted by Changshin Lee <ia...@gmail.com>.
Hi Manoj,

Posted by Manoj Mallawaarachchie <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ias,

Posted by Manoj Mallawaarachchie <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Sorry for my delay. Yes Sanjiva is correct we can use cutdown version of
Axis2 for mobiledevices and try to support most of the ws* stack for mobile
devices which not cover in current up comming JSR's if they like to
integrate or make new JSR which consider ws* stack for mobile devices we
will support this as well.

Actual idea is we try to make micro app server reside in mobile device and
out side world can communicate it with standard protocol and It's device
independent. So for example one day mobile phone can communicate with
TV(both have Ws* stack micro server) with operate with SMS or any protocol,
So you will able to select some TV channels from (Automated serch from UDDI)
to your kid at home while your at office.
etc.etc.

This just a idea, hope we can do some work for this infrastructure.

BR,
Manoj

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Changshin Lee <ia...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sanjiva,

First of all, I'd appreciate your interest in Mirae :-)

On 3/4/06, Sanjiva Weerawarana < sanjiva@opensource.lk> wrote:
>  On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 15:46 +0900, Changshin Lee wrote:
> > Hi Manoj,
> >
> > 2006. 02. 14, 오후 5:48, Manoj Mallawaarachchie 작성:
> >
> > > Hi Ias,
> > >
> > > Thank you for your comment and guide lines. I subscribed to mirae
> > > mailling list.  Actually I'm not going to implement JSR 172, I
> > > suppose to use what ever implementation like Mirae or Kosap etc.
> > > But basic idea for create lightweight version of Axis2.
> > >
> > > What you think of my  senarios and basic architecture ?
> >
> > 1. Could you explain a little bit more about MSISDN?
> >
> > 2. Scenario 1 seems that web services are on top of SMS (or MMS)
> > transport protocol, of which binding is not defined in WSDL. Do you
> > intend to communicate with SOAP/SMS and without WSDL on your proposal?
> >
> > 3. Your scenarios and component stack look pretty close to JSR 279 at
> > http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=279. In addition to that,
> > manipulating XML messages requires some XML infoset model in Java ME,
> > so JSR 280 is supposed to provide DOM. Those two JSRs are going to
> > release its early draft in March, I recommend your reviewing them and
> > designing on them.
>
> Just like the design of Axis2 is independent of any JSRs, what I'd like
> to see is a J2ME version of Axis2 .. basically port Axis2 down to run on
> J2ME under one or more profiles. No need for a separate codebase IMO.

 That could be possible, but my personal recommendation is to support
standards, in particular, JSR 279 is going to provide pretty solid
foundation of web services on Java ME. (Now I'm attending the JSR
279+280 F2F meetings :-) Their early drafts are going to be out soon,
and many Java ME developers are looking forward to JSR 280 features
such as DOM and StAX on Java ME, so implementing those JSRs seem
promising and helpful. What I'm planning for now is "Mirae Service
Connection" for JSR 279 and "Mirae DOM" for JSR 280 while we already
have Mirae SAX and StAX.

> > 4. Mirae C++ is very very interesting, and actually some asked me why
>  > there's no such :-) Personally, I'd like you to start Mirae C++ first
> > and think that it would be attractive and unique since there are
> > already several Java ME web services implementations  such as Sun's
> > WTK and Nokia's SDK.
>
> Axis2/C is designed to be pluggable to a small device as well and we do
> intend to build that!

Yes!, that's exactly what I'd like to see in Mirae C++.

Thanks,

Ias

Posted by Changshin Lee <ia...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sanjiva,