Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "D.J. Heap" <dj...@shadyvale.net> on 2003/06/07 23:45:26 UTC

Windows 'Access Denied' Update

Just a quick FYI for any who care...

On a fresh XP machine with Index Server off and no AV stuff installed,
I've been multi-stress.pl-ing and get the 'Access denied' problem on
FAT32 as well as NTFS.  *And* if I patch svn_io_file_rename to attempt
100 retries, it seems to fix the rename, but then I occasionally see
svn_io_file_remove failures with 'Access Denied.'

It does take multiple stress.pl's and usually several hundred revisions
at least.

I also converted my test-repro program to use APR thinking maybe it's
use of overlapped i/o might have something to do with it...but alas, no
luck.  So I'm still missing something that Subversion is doing to
trigger the problem, I guess.

Anyway, it's not just NTFS and it's not just renames.  Yay, fun.

BTW, these are the only failures I'm seeing anymore with BDB 4.0 --
thanks to all the recent fixes I haven't had a single case of the
deadlock problem, or the 'unable to open environment' problem. (BDB 4.1
has been behaving much better than it was, also, but performance is
still poorer and it often hangs -- all processes get hung up, even
db_archive and I have to kill them all off and recover the db.  I'll get
a stack trace tonight or tomorrow and post it.)

DJ

RE: Windows 'Access Denied' Update

Posted by "D.J. Heap" <dj...@dhiprovo.com>.
Most of the time, but not all the time.  The only way I've made it work
well on all the machines I've tried it on is to put it into a sleep(1)
and retry loop of at *least* 20 or so attempts.  Anything less and it
still fails on some machines.  That implies it is very dependent on
machine speed or something, which means sleep times/retry times are just
guessing games at best.

If I could just get it recreated outside of Subversion and prove it's a
Microsoft problem...although it probably still wouldn't get fixed for
months at least.

DJ

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
D.J. Heap wrote:
> Thanks, I would be very interested in hearing how they managed a
> reliable workaround.

sleep(1) would work, I suppose.  ;~)

John

Posted by "D.J. Heap" <dj...@dhiprovo.com>.
Thanks, I would be very interested in hearing how they managed a
reliable workaround.

DJ

> On a fresh XP machine with Index Server off and no AV stuff installed,

> I've been multi-stress.pl-ing and get the 'Access denied' problem on
> FAT32 as well as NTFS.  *And* if I patch svn_io_file_rename to attempt

> 100 retries, it seems to fix the rename, but then I occasionally see
> svn_io_file_remove failures with 'Access Denied.'

<snip>

> Anyway, it's not just NTFS and it's not just renames.  Yay, fun.

I believe the same problem was mentioned on the CVSNT list a while back,
and the
lead developer's belief was that the NT filesystem architecture was
introducing
lags, i.e. renaming/deleting the file was not strictly atomic with the
filesystem actually updated to reflect the delete.  I don't remember if
this was
just NTFS or also on FAT32.

I'll ask on that list for what he remembers (and what he did to work
around it).

John

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.