Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Pradeep Arumalla <pr...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/12 03:32:25 UTC

UUID MAC configuration

hi all,
I am using VersionOneGenerator  and I see that we need to configure the MAC
addres in the xml file , I mean the uuid.state file .It works locally .But
how do I give to other teams and ask them to work without having to enter
the MAC address in the uuid.state file.I mean is there any better way to
detect the MAC address automatically ?  *My Idea is to give a jar file to
different teams in my company to  generate UUID's. *

Thanks
Pradeep

Re: UUID MAC configuration

Posted by Rory Winston <rw...@eircom.net>.
Pradeep

Getting the MAC address is problematic - normally it requires native
code (which may use OS-level function calls or a native SNMP API, which
is one of the approaches I have seen).

Two options:

1. If you are using JDK 6, you may be in luck: see
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/net/NetworkInterface.html#getHardwareAddress()
2. Take a look at JUG (http://jug.safehaus.org/Home), which has a JNI
portion for reading the MAC address

Thanks