Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by pbCode <pb...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/28 14:26:04 UTC

purge performance???

Hi,
  I have a lot of messages in some DLQs.  These are in the order of 10
thousand / DLQ!  Before I go and delete these from my production environment
I wanted to know if theres anything I need to consider before I do it???  ie
performance.  As you can imagine I dont want to hit the purge button and
then the CPU rocket through the roof!  I have tested it in my development
environment by using the active mq web console to create 10 thousand
messages and then purge them.  It was so quick it was unbelievable!  I was
wondering why it was so quick, that maybe the 10 thousand messages that I
created through the console  were deleted so quickly because the messages
are effectively the same???  Any help will be appreciated.

Re: purge performance???

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
ActiveMQ shouldn't mind, if your OS allows that.

Tim

Re: purge performance???

Re: purge performance???

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.
How fast the messages get purged depend on many things such as how large
the messages are, if they are non-persistent, and if there is contention on
the Queue, and of course how fast your hardware is. The purge operation
works by paging in batches of messages at a time so if it has to go to disk
versus just in memory then it will take a little bit longer depending on
your disk performance.  Also if there are a lot of producers/consumers to a
Queue it will interfere with the purge as well as locks have to be obtained.

That being said, 10 thousand messages is not that many messages if they are
relatively small (no more than a couple KB) and in most situations I would
expect it to only take a few seconds, especially if they are in memory.  If
you have large messages (megabytes) then it will of course take a lot
longer.