Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by kiran <ki...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/08 06:44:00 UTC

Regions in transition

Dear All,

How to move/reassign regions that are always in transition ? Because of the
cluster is not balancing and regionservers are going down one by one. As
only some regions servers are handling the requests.

Another wierd thing is the region stuck in transition startkey matches with
the region that is assigned. Is that possible to have to have tow regions
with same start keys with one assigned and one not ?

Thanks
Kiran

--
Thank you
Kiran Sarvabhotla

-----Even a correct decision is wrong when it is taken late

Re: Regions in transition

Posted by kiran <ki...@gmail.com>.
Also, I did try repairHoles, all fix options but in vain. I restarted
master atleast thrice.....

Re: Regions in transition

Posted by ramkrishna vasudevan <ra...@gmail.com>.
What is the version that you are using? You can run the tool called HBCK
which should help you.
But before running this what operation were you trying to make?  DISABLED
and then ENABLED a table or it was just normal region assignments while
creating table or
region balancing?

Regard
Ram

Re: Regions in transition

Posted by kiran <ki...@gmail.com>.
I think it might be reason for the splits. From 0.94.0, seems the default
split policy has changes

http://hbase.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/regionserver/ConstantSizeRegionSplitPolicy.html

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 3:37 PM, ramkrishna vasudevan <

Re: Regions in transition

Posted by ramkrishna vasudevan <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: Regions in transition

Posted by kiran <ki...@gmail.com>.

Re: Regions in transition

Posted by kiran <ki...@gmail.com>.

Re: Regions in transition

Posted by ramkrishna vasudevan <ra...@gmail.com>.
Yes, RIT states were bit confusing for the end user.  In the latest version
lot of efforts have gone into solve this problems. Hope for the best in the
future :)

Regards
Ram

Re: Regions in transition

Posted by samar kumar <sa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Regions in transition

Posted by Samir Ahmic <ah...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Kiran

Re: Regions in transition

Posted by kiran <ki...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I tried to run hbase hbck -fixMeta after master restart. and in the output
I got

There is a hole in the region chain between <regionname> You need to create
a new .regioninfo and region dir in hdfs to plug the hole for about 10 odd
regions

What does this mean ?

Re: Regions in transition

Posted by kiran <ki...@gmail.com>.