Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> on 2011/10/07 18:33:18 UTC

[DISCUSS] Restyling the commons-skin

Hi all guys,
we already discussed in the past that we would like to have a nice new
style for the site, and I would like to take advantage from a
discussion born in the incubator ML[1] to renew the discussion,
because our commons-fellow Christian Grobmeier came out with nice
(IMHO) improvements[2] just adopting a style provided from Twitter[3]
(ASL Licensed) called Bootstrap.

I just did a 5 minute experiment[4], pasting in one of default
template the commons-site HP text, that makes IMHO the commons-site
really better.

There would be the opportunity to improve the existing skin - that
started looking so '90 - and I propose working on a new skin in a
separate branch, adopting the bootstrap FW.

WDYT?
Many thanks in advance, all the best!!!
Simo

[1] http://markmail.org/message/f5r7mp5lxcc7pep5
[2] http://code.grobmeier.de/incubator-draft-v2/
[3] http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/
[4] http://people.apache.org/~simonetripodi/commons/

http://www.99soft.org/

Re: [DISCUSS] Restyling the commons-skin

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Niall,
thanks for your feedback! we are currently developing a more general
skin under maven sandbox[1] - where access is open to every committer
- everybody here at commons is invited to participate on maven dev@
ML.
If you want to see a live demo, the Apache DIrectMemory site[2] is
built using it.
All the best, have a nice WE!
Simo

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/sandbox/trunk/skin/maven-fluido-skin
[2] http://incubator.apache.org/directmemory/

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
http://www.99soft.org/

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi all guys,
> we already discussed in the past that we would like to have a nice new
> style for the site, and I would like to take advantage from a
> discussion born in the incubator ML[1] to renew the discussion,
> because our commons-fellow Christian Grobmeier came out with nice
> (IMHO) improvements[2] just adopting a style provided from Twitter[3]
> (ASL Licensed) called Bootstrap.
>
> I just did a 5 minute experiment[4], pasting in one of default
> template the commons-site HP text, that makes IMHO the commons-site
> really better.

Looks great, thanks.

Niall

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@vafer.org>.
Like the direction!

Re: [DISCUSS] Restyling the commons-skin

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 6:50 PM, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> These example are all 1,000 times better than our current look! Great
> examples :)
>
> ApacheDS has also done a nice job: https://directory.apache.org/

Actually I have seen that already before a few months. To be honest, I
was unsure if I am still browsing an ASF site ;-) Indeed fantastic
too, great Icons they own.

Christian

--
http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: [DISCUSS] Restyling the commons-skin

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
> WDYT?

I like this and want more of it!
The start page you did is fantastic.

<kidding>How can we ever attract new committers when we have a design
which looks like the project is dead for 10 years ;-) </kidding>

http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: [DISCUSS] Restyling the commons-skin

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
I love the ApacheDIrectory skin, I like also the Cocoon[1] one. I am
envious because I'm not so deep in design.
Anyway, just for the record, this[2] is the sample I kindly borrowed
from Bootstrap. As you can notice, I did anything that paste the
Commons HP text :P
Thanks for the feedback, if there are no objections I would proceed on
creating the branch
All the best!
Simo

[1] http://cocoon.apache.org/3.0/
[2] http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/examples/fluid.html

http://www.99soft.org/

Posted by Maurizio Cucchiara <mc...@apache.org>.
Very very nice.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Yeah ! +1 :-)

2011/10/7 Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>:
> Hi all guys,
> we already discussed in the past that we would like to have a nice new
> style for the site, and I would like to take advantage from a
> discussion born in the incubator ML[1] to renew the discussion,
> because our commons-fellow Christian Grobmeier came out with nice
> (IMHO) improvements[2] just adopting a style provided from Twitter[3]
> (ASL Licensed) called Bootstrap.
>
> I just did a 5 minute experiment[4], pasting in one of default
> template the commons-site HP text, that makes IMHO the commons-site
> really better.
>
> There would be the opportunity to improve the existing skin - that
> started looking so '90 - and I propose working on a new skin in a
> separate branch, adopting the bootstrap FW.
>
> WDYT?
> Many thanks in advance, all the best!!!
> Simo
>
> [1] http://markmail.org/message/f5r7mp5lxcc7pep5
> [2] http://code.grobmeier.de/incubator-draft-v2/
> [3] http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/
> [4] http://people.apache.org/~simonetripodi/commons/

> http://www.99soft.org/

Olivier Lamy
Talend : http://talend.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Restyling the commons-skin

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 9 October 2011 21:31, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've had a closer look at bootstrap and have thought some more about
> this. This made me come to the conclusion that it would be worth while
> to have generic Maven skin based on bootstrap.
>
> With this in mind, do you think the Commons project could use such a
> skin, if it was possible to tweak colors and such easily?

We've had to create our own skin because the Maven skin is not
sufficiently customisable.
I raised a few JIRAs about improving customisability, but there was
very little progress.

It would be great if Commons could revert to using a standard skin,
but the Maven skin needs quite a lot of work before it is suitable for
our use.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 10 October 2011 09:42, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hello,
> Looks nice ! I'd like to use for some other projects.
>
> I like too the idea about having this skin in the maven skins.
>
> @Simone: feel free to commit in maven sandbox if you want. It's open
> for all asf committers ( I have just created a skin path
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/sandbox/trunk/skin/ )
>
> @Sebb: can you point the issues you like to see fixed ? (at least
> Dennis or myself can help)

Bugs
https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSITE-551 - custom content not
returned correctly
https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSITE-549 - Not possible to easily
customise footer

Enhancements
This currently requires various hacks in site.vm and site.xml:
https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSITE-559 - Delayed resolution of
variables in inherited site.xml files

Not essential, but should be quite easy to do
https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSITE-563 - Enable easier debugging
of VM scripts by adding context to the context

For further details see:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/commons-parent/trunk/src/site/site.xml
and
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/commons-skin/trunk/src/main/resources/META-INF/maven/site.vm

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi all guys,
moving the effort directly to Maven, as Dennis suggested, sounds the
way to go. I'll be taking care on starting committing that stuff under
the place created by Olivier after lunch.

@Mau: I know it sucks - and I had to hack it :P - but didn't find a
better place... any suggestion?

TIA!
All the best,
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: [DISCUSS] Restyling the commons-skin

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hello,
Looks nice ! I'd like to use for some other projects.

I like too the idea about having this skin in the maven skins.

@Simone: feel free to commit in maven sandbox if you want. It's open
for all asf committers ( I have just created a skin path
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/sandbox/trunk/skin/ )

@Sebb: can you point the issues you like to see fixed ? (at least
Dennis or myself can help)

2011/10/10 Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>:
> Hi Dennis, all,
> I hacked a little our commons-skin, playing with bootstrap, and
> applied it to Digetser site[1] (published on my personal ASF space).
> Here[2] you can see the differences between the actual and new
> Digetser site: logos are still a TODO but it already shows the
> potentials... WDYT?
> Maybe better showing you the svn diff before committing?
> Please let me know!
> Thanks in advance, all the best!
> Simo
>
> [1] http://people.apache.org/~simonetripodi/digester/
> [2] http://imageshack.us/f/713/screenshot20111010at100.png/

> http://www.99soft.org/
>

> On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 10:31 PM, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I've had a closer look at bootstrap and have thought some more about
>> this. This made me come to the conclusion that it would be worth while
>> to have generic Maven skin based on bootstrap.
>>
>> With this in mind, do you think the Commons project could use such a
>> skin, if it was possible to tweak colors and such easily?
>>
>> On 2011-10-09 22:22, Simone Tripodi wrote:
>>> Hi all guys,
>>> looks like there are not objections on working towards a new skin, so
>>> according to Dennis' proposal, I'm going to copy the current trunk on
>>> a branch in order to start working with bootstrap library.
>>> Thanks for the feedbacks and support, and thanks in advance for any help!
>>> Have a nice day, all the best,
>>> Simo

>>> http://www.99soft.org/

>> --
>> Dennis Lundberg

Olivier Lamy
Talend : http://talend.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Restyling the commons-skin

Posted by Maurizio Cucchiara <mc...@apache.org>.
Hi Simone,
I like it very much, what I really don't like (even if I'm pretty sure
is just a draft) is the position of the "last published" and "version"
element: they seems to be an interactive menu.
Maurizio Cucchiara

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Dennis, all,

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Dennis,
even if I'm still not a Bootstrap black-belt, I think that what you
have in mind should be possible - and very nice to have!
I'm experimenting a little on commons-skin, I'll let you know how things evolve!

On 2011-10-09 22:22, Simone Tripodi wrote:
> Hi all guys,
> looks like there are not objections on working towards a new skin, so
> according to Dennis' proposal, I'm going to copy the current trunk on
> a branch in order to start working with bootstrap library.
> Thanks for the feedbacks and support, and thanks in advance for any help!
> Have a nice day, all the best,
> Simo

> http://www.99soft.org/
>

> On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 5:01 PM, Greg Sterijevski <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> +1 from me. Looks great!

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [DISCUSS] Restyling the commons-skin

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
you are welcome Gary, we all have to join our strengths in order to
improve our l'n'feel! :)
All the best,
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi all guys,

Posted by Greg Sterijevski <gs...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me. Looks great!

Re: [DISCUSS] Restyling the commons-skin

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Hi Simone

That looks very nice! Let's get the ball rolling on this. I currently
have limited time, but I'm here to help with anything Maven-related in
the skin.

For me there is no need to do this work on a branch, I don't see us
releasing another version of the current skin any time soon. If the need
arises to release a new version of the old skin, we could just create a
maintenance branch from the last tag.

On 2011-10-07 18:33, Simone Tripodi wrote:
> Hi all guys,
> we already discussed in the past that we would like to have a nice new
> style for the site, and I would like to take advantage from a
> discussion born in the incubator ML[1] to renew the discussion,
> because our commons-fellow Christian Grobmeier came out with nice
> (IMHO) improvements[2] just adopting a style provided from Twitter[3]
> (ASL Licensed) called Bootstrap.
>
> I just did a 5 minute experiment[4], pasting in one of default
> template the commons-site HP text, that makes IMHO the commons-site
> really better.
>
> There would be the opportunity to improve the existing skin - that
> started looking so '90 - and I propose working on a new skin in a
> separate branch, adopting the bootstrap FW.
>
> WDYT?
> Many thanks in advance, all the best!!!
> Simo
>
> [1] http://markmail.org/message/f5r7mp5lxcc7pep5
> [2] http://code.grobmeier.de/incubator-draft-v2/
> [3] http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/
> [4] http://people.apache.org/~simonetripodi/commons/

> http://www.99soft.org/

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [DISCUSS] Restyling the commons-skin

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
It would nice also putting a nice image with the Software Box[1]
branded apache with commons components, but this is definitively out
of my skills :D
Simo

[1] http://www.talk-mania.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/114.jpg

http://www.99soft.org/