Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2013/04/06 02:01:04 UTC

Git remote branches

Hi,

Just noticed this:

 git branch -r
  origin/FLEX-33451
  origin/HEAD -> origin/master
  origin/develop
  origin/master
  origin/patches
  origin/release4.9

ie :  origin/FLEX-33451 is still a remote branch - should this be removed and if so what the safest way of doing that?

If it is removed what happens to my local branch? Say I still had changes to commit - what then?

 git branch
  FLEX-33451
* develop
  master

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Git remote branches

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> It won't affect your local branch. That will stay intact and viable.
Even when it tracking the remote branch?

>> I suspect you mean changes to merge
Yep. However the remote branch has already been merged into develop (which I may or may not know depend on how close attention I've been paying to the commit log) - seems like potential for confusion on which version is the correct one here.

Thanks,
Justin

RE: Git remote branches

Posted by "Michael A. Labriola" <la...@digitalprimates.net>.
>ie :  origin/FLEX-33451 is still a remote branch - should this be removed and if so what the safest way of doing that?

It can be removed although it won't hurt anything to hang around for a while. I honestly google the method to remove it most times:

http://gitready.com/beginner/2009/02/02/push-and-delete-branches.html

>If it is removed what happens to my local branch?

It won't affect your local branch. That will stay intact and viable.  A branch isn't really a separate thing in git. All a branch really is at the end of the day is a text file that contains a unique identifier to the commit from which it started and a couple of text files describing the tree of the file system. So, those can exist locally or be pushed to the server but they are pretty much independent.

>Say I still had changes to commit - what then?

Do you mean uncommitted local changes to that branch? If so, commit them :) Remember in git land you can commit every 30 seconds. I suspect you mean changes to merge in though and honestly that's fine. You can work on your local branch for as long as you want and then merge in when ready. If I am missing the point, just ask again

Mike