Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> on 2009/07/10 08:44:15 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: Help with installing Apache on Windows XP

Anthony Rodriguez wrote:
> Dear Andre,
>
> Thank you for replying to my post and I apologize for contacting you
> directly.
>
> You said to "turn off any other services that may be listening to port 80
> (like IIS ?) or change the Apache configuration to listen on another port."
>
> As a newbie, I have no idea if there are other services running or how to
> find out.
>
> I think I know how to change the port in the configuration file (Listen
> 80?). If I do, how do I start Apache?

Anthony, please reply to the list, not to anyone personally unless asked
to do so.  There are a whole bunch of good reasons for that, the main
one being that most people answering on these lists are not available
all the time, and keeping things on the list allows more people to see
your question and answer it.
A second one is that this way, the answer is also available to all who
have the same issue at a later time, allowing people to search the list
archive and find their answers before asking the same question again.
(You have done that, haven't you ? There are instructions for that on
the main page at httpd.apache.org).

About your question :
The main issue is that not more than one "server" can be listening at
the same time on the same TCP/IP port.  When one server (program)
registers with the OS as listening on one port (like port 80 for HTTP),
then that's it.  Any other program trying to do the same thing later
will fail, which is what seems to be happening with Apache in your case.
The most likely reason for your Apache to fail thus, is that there is
already another program listening on the same port which Apache is
trying to open (port 80).
Since port 80 is the standard port for HTTP, presumably then there is
already another webserver active on your PC, listening already on port 80.
Since this is a Windows PC, the most likely candidate is IIS (Internet
Information Server), the standard webserver that is part of Windows.
Managing IIS is a bit beyond the scope of this list, which after all is
dedicated to Apache.
But you will find plenty of information about that on Google, or on a
Windows support forum.

So, let's say you have changed the Apache "Listen" directive, to 81
instead of 80.
If you have a standard Apache/Windows installation, there are 3 ways in
which you can start/stop the Apache service.

#1 : you should have a little icon at the bottom-right side of the
screen, with an Apache symbol. By clicking on it, you will clearly see
commands to start and stop Apache.
#2 : in "My Computer...Manage...Services and Applications..Services",
you will see a list, on the right side, of Windows Services.
Right-clicking on one of the items of the list will show a menu, which
has items to start/stop the respective service.  Look for a Service
whose name starts with "Apache"
#3 : in a command window, type "net start". That will show a list of all
the Windows Services which are currently started.  If you know the exact
name of a Service, you can start and stop that service by entering
commands like :
net start "name of service"
net stop "name of service"

Once you have started Apache listening on port 81, you can test it by
opening a browser, and entering the URL :
http://localhost:81
It should show a page saying "It works!"