Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by JDO Designs & Consulting <jd...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/15 06:47:27 UTC

Help Wanted

Hi,

I'd like to get involved with the Apache Open Office project,
specifically number 5: "*Improve the look of the our website(s)*,
especially the default landing page
<http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/index.html>.  Skills needed:
graphic design, web design, good taste, possible svn. Skills gained:
Markdown syntax, Apache CMS."  Any information you can provide on how I
can get started and be of assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremiah D. Ostrosky Sr.
JDO Designs & Consulting
http://ostrosky.dyndns.org
(412) 537-0011

Re: Help Wanted

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Jeremiah,

it seems that you are not yet subscribed to this mailing list. You can
easy to that by sending an email to ooo-dev-subscribe@incubator.apache.org

On 8/15/12 6:47 AM, JDO Designs & Consulting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to get involved with the Apache Open Office project,
> specifically number 5: "*Improve the look of the our website(s)*,
> especially the default landing page
> <http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/index.html>.  Skills needed:
> graphic design, web design, good taste, possible svn. Skills gained:
> Markdown syntax, Apache CMS."  Any information you can provide on how I
> can get started and be of assistance would be greatly appreciated.

good news that you want help us with some new fresh redesign of our website.

http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/index.html is the main entry
pint for developers. It can of course benefit from some redesign as well.

But I would prefer when we think about a new redesign and a new concept
for our main user entry point, our portal www.openoffice.org with the
sub pages and sub domains.

We don't have to hurry here we can plan it in detail, can collect all
requirements and how we can realize it with the Apache CMS. I am sure
Joe will support and help if we need something to make the portal really
cool, interesting, informative and especially intuitive.

If others agree that focusing on the main portal is more important to
bring everything in a consistent and well structured state, we should
start with the planning and the collection of requirements first.

Some quick ideas:
- landing page, maybe extended pages for regional groups
- mission overview
- downloads
- entry point for developers or better people who want actively
participate in the project
- where can the user find support, documentation
- maybe API reference for macro/extension developers
- localization of all content

In the meantime some background information about the Apache CMS is
probably useful as well http://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html

Juergen