Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Todd Jonker <tv...@pobox.com> on 2003/06/26 03:10:43 UTC

Re: StringUtils.isEmpty(), isNotEmpty() and stringsa with some spaces

In general, StringUtils seems to munge up the distinctions between null,
zero-length, and whitespace-only strings.  Obviously there is no concrete
definition of what "empty" means.  This makes the whole suite of related
methods hard to learn, IMO.

Personally, I think "empty" should mean "zero-length or whitespace-only",
but should not include null.  You can't really say that your box is empty if
you have no box at all.

Another appropriate term would be "blank".  Perhaps a way to fix all this
would be to deprecate the poorly-defined "empty" methods and replace them
with well-defined "blank" methods.

.T.

On 6/25/03 8:13 AM, scolebourne@btopenworld.com wrote:

> I would tend to agree that it is inconsistent. I can't remember if
> isNotEmpty() was in release 1.0. If it was then changing it makes me
> uncomfortable.
>
> Stephen
>
>>  from:    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Reinhard_N=E4gele?= <re...@mgm-edv.de>
>>  date:    Wed, 25 Jun 2003 11:02:57
>>  to:      commons-user@jakarta.apache.org
>>  subject: Re: StringUtils.isEmpty(), isNotEmpty() and stringsa with some
>> spaces
>>
>> This behavior is specified in the JavaDocs. However, I also think this
>> is not really consistent. Any thoughts?
>>
>> Reinhard
>>

>> Dmitri Ilyin wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> if is use isEmpty() method of StringUtils with "   " (string with some
>>> spaces) and isNotEmpty() with the same string i get true from both methods,
>>> becouse isEmpty trims the parameter string and isNotEmpty doesn't.
>>>
>>> I think it is not OK.
>>>
>>> regards
>>>
>>> Dmitri

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against its
government.  -Edward Abbey, naturalist and author (1927-1989)

    Defend our country!  Vote Howard Dean 2004
        http://www.DeanForAmerica.com/
        http://www.MoveOn.org/

[lang] Pre 2.0 - StringUtils.isEmpty(), isNotEmpty() and stringsa with somespaces

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
This got raised on the users list.

Since this is a major version release, now would be the time to correct this
problem. (ie. for 2.0)

I propose:
isEmpty() - CHANGE to not trim
isNotEmpty() - no change
isEmptyTrimmed - NEW, does what isEmpty used to
isNotEmptyTrimmed - NEW

This is an incompatable change for isEmpty(), but seems the best solution,
as we appear to define 'empty' as "" elsewhere and refer to trimming
explicitly.

Stephen