Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by jo...@accenture.com on 2011/08/12 17:58:19 UTC

Speed up node under replicated block during decomission

Hi All,

I'm trying to decommission data node from my cluster.  I put the data node in the /usr/lib/hadoop/conf/dfs.hosts.exclude list and restarted the name nodes.  The under-replicated blocks are starting to replicate, but it's going down in a very slow pace.  For 1 TB of data it takes over 1 day to complete.   We change the settings as below and try to increase the replication rate.

Added this to hdfs-site.xml on all the nodes on the cluster and restarted the data nodes and name node processes.
<property>
  <!-- 100Mbit/s -->
  <name>dfs.balance.bandwidthPerSec</name>
  <value>131072000</value>
</property>

Speed didn't seem to pick up. Do you know what may be happening?

Thanks!
Jonathan

RE: Speed up node under replicated block during decomission

Posted by jo...@accenture.com.
I did have these settings on all the hdfs-site.xml nodes:
<property>
  <!-- 100Mbit/s -->
  <name>dfs.balance.bandwidthPerSec</name>
  <value>131072000</value>
</property>
<property>
  <name>dfs.max-repl-streams</name>
  <value>50</value>
</property>

It is still taking over 1 day or longer for 1TB of under replicated blocks to replicate.

Thanks!
Jonathan

Posted by Joey Echeverria <jo...@cloudera.com>.

--
Joseph Echeverria
Cloudera, Inc.

RE: Speed up node under replicated block during decomission

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Just a thought...

Really quick and dirty thing to do is to turn off the node.
Within 10 minutes the node looks down to the JT and NN so it gets marked as down.
Run an fsck and it will show the files as under replicated and then will do the replication at the faster speed to rebalance the cluster.
(100MB/sec should be ok on a 1GBe link)

Then you can drop the next node... much faster than trying to decomission the node.

Its not the best way to do it, but it works.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by sridhar basam <sr...@basam.org>.
On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 11:58 AM, <jo...@accenture.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to decommission data node from my cluster.  I put the data node
> in the /usr/lib/hadoop/conf/dfs.hosts.exclude list and restarted the name
> nodes.  The under-replicated blocks are starting to replicate, but it's
> going down in a very slow pace.  For 1 TB of data it takes over 1 day to
> complete.   We change the settings as below and try to increase the
> replication rate.
>
> Added this to hdfs-site.xml on all the nodes on the cluster and restarted
> the data nodes and name node processes.
> <property>
>  <!-- 100Mbit/s -->
>  <name>dfs.balance.bandwidthPerSec</name>
>  <value>131072000</value>
> </property>
>
> Speed didn't seem to pick up. Do you know what may be happening?

Are you seeing any sort of resource starvation on your data nodes? I/O,
network or CPU?

 Sridhar