Posted to dev@hama.apache.org by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org> on 2011/08/25 12:43:48 UTC

Summary of problems with HAMA-413 and Discussion

Today, I tested all Hama examples on my cluster of 32 nodes, with 96
tasks. Pi and Serialized Printing examples were working fine but

1. Barrier Synchronizations are not working well (with a 'bench' example).
2. When an unexpected shutdown occurs, ZK nodes (which created by each
BSPPeer) will not be deleted. There's no way to clean them up before
reboot the server.
3. Graph examples are not working.
4. Too many reporting times between Groom and Master.
5. And, there are many code issues that can be improved.

1, and 2 issues are already reported (See HAMA-387, HAMA-407). Some of
3, 4, and 5 issues are already started by ChiaHung Lin.

All issues around this should be fixed in HAMA-413? or, Should we just
commit HAMA-413?

Thanks.
--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon
@eddieyoon

Re: Summary of problems with HAMA-413 and Discussion

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
As you said, the groom (and its tasks) statuses must be periodically
reported for many reasons e.g., fault management, job progress report,
..., etc.

I've opened Jira ticket, HAMA-429 today, let's discuss them on it.

Please feel free to assign yourself, if you are willing to design and fix them.

Posted by ChiaHung Lin <ch...@nuk.edu.tw>.
From the jira log it shows that the committed patch lets bsp peer directly report status back to master. An issue we may need to consider right now is `how can we determine if a groom server fails?' With original mechanism we can allow groom server to manage tasks (bsp peer) and master takes care of groom servers. For instance, if a groom server fails, a master can reschedule all tasks specified on that groom server to other working one. With currently mechanism, the master, in addition to monitor the activity of groom servers, also needs to deal with bsp peer. Do we have some plans on this already?

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
In the short term view, the problem of graph examples, is only just
that there's no way to get a list of all BSPPeers when creating a Job.

    Collection<String> activeGrooms = cluster.getActiveGroomNames().values();
    String[] grooms = activeGrooms.toArray(new String[activeGrooms.size()]);

    LOG.info("Starting data partitioning...");
    if (adjacencyList == null) {
      conf = (HamaConfiguration) partition(conf, adjacencyListPath, grooms);
    } else {
      conf = (HamaConfiguration) partitionExample(conf, adjacencyList, grooms);
    }
    LOG.info("Finished!");

Here's my suggestion.

At the moment, use only 1 task per groom for graph examples. Then, we
can simple fix them.

Posted by Thomas Jungblut <th...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
Okay.