Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2007/01/27 07:01:24 UTC

[VOTE] 2.0-M2 Milestone ready for review and JACC Specs

All,

I have made the binaries from Geronimo 2.0-M2 available for review at:

http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/2.0-M2-rc1

In this directory you will find the various assemblies for your
review as well as one massive tar ball that has the various artifacts
that will ultimately be distributed.

The files are being uploaded as this is being written so give them
some time.

Also included in this vote are the artifacts for the JACC spec 1.0-M2
which is required for 2.0-M2.

Remember...this is a milestone and not a full release.

Thanks for David Blevins for being quite the helper tonight in
getting the Release Notes in line and helping out with Open EJB.

Thanks

This vote will conclude on Tuesday at 0100 Eastern.

Cheers.

Matt

Re: [VOTE] 2.0-M2 Milestone ready for review and JACC Specs

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Jan 27, 2007, at 7:39 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Jan 27, 2007, at 1:01 AM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> I have made the binaries from Geronimo 2.0-M2 available for review
>> at:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/2.0-M2-rc1
>>
>> In this directory you will find the various assemblies for your
>> review as well as one massive tar ball that has the various
>> artifacts that will ultimately be distributed.
>>
>> The files are being uploaded as this is being written so give them
>> some time.
>>
>> Also included in this vote are the artifacts for the JACC spec 1.0-
>> M2 which is required for 2.0-M2.
>>
>> Remember...this is a milestone and not a full release.
>>
>> Thanks for David Blevins for being quite the helper tonight in
>> getting the Release Notes in line and helping out with Open EJB.
>
> As Prasad has noted in a separate thread, EJB@ injection for Jetty
> is not working. Matt can confirm, but I believe that he
> intentionally did not merge the latest changes from trunk into the
> M2 branch. A release manager needs to draw the line somewhere, and
> this allowed him to get the RC candidate built. I was (and still
> am) fine with delivering M2 with this limitation. We've got a lot
> of great function, here. I'm looking forward to getting on to
> making more great progress like this.
>
> I suggest we update the release notes to reflect this EJB@
> limitation. Something like:
>
> - EJB 3.0 (via OpenEJB project)
>   Supported:
>      - @EJB injection of ejb-refs and ejb-local-refs (Tomcat)
>
>   Limitations:
>      - No support for MDBs.
>      - @EJB injection of ejb-refs and ejb-local-refs (Jetty)
>
> I've tested both jee5 assemblies. The source and binary look good.
> With an update to the release notes, I'm +1.

+1 to the release.

And for the release notes we should make a new section for Servlets
2.5 and mention the @EJB Jetty limitation there.

-David

Re: [VOTE] 2.0-M2 Milestone ready for review and JACC Specs

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
On 1/27/07, Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 27, 2007, at 1:01 AM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > I have made the binaries from Geronimo 2.0-M2 available for review at:
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/2.0-M2-rc1
> >
> > In this directory you will find the various assemblies for your
> > review as well as one massive tar ball that has the various
> > artifacts that will ultimately be distributed.
> >
> > The files are being uploaded as this is being written so give them
> > some time.
> >
> > Also included in this vote are the artifacts for the JACC spec 1.0-
> > M2 which is required for 2.0-M2.
> >
> > Remember...this is a milestone and not a full release.
> >
> > Thanks for David Blevins for being quite the helper tonight in
> > getting the Release Notes in line and helping out with Open EJB.
>
> As Prasad has noted in a separate thread, EJB@ injection for Jetty is
> not working. Matt can confirm, but I believe that he intentionally
> did not merge the latest changes from trunk into the M2 branch. A
> release manager needs to draw the line somewhere, and this allowed
> him to get the RC candidate built. I was (and still am) fine with
> delivering M2 with this limitation.

Right. I fully agree too and I am okay with this. Assuming that we
sync the Release Notes to mention the @EJB limitation on Jetty, here's
my +1.

Cheers
Prasad

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
My +1

On Jan 27, 2007, at 1:01 AM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> All,
>
> I have made the binaries from Geronimo 2.0-M2 available for review at:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/2.0-M2-rc1
>
> In this directory you will find the various assemblies for your
> review as well as one massive tar ball that has the various
> artifacts that will ultimately be distributed.
>
> The files are being uploaded as this is being written so give them
> some time.
>
> Also included in this vote are the artifacts for the JACC spec 1.0-
> M2 which is required for 2.0-M2.
>
> Remember...this is a milestone and not a full release.
>
> Thanks for David Blevins for being quite the helper tonight in
> getting the Release Notes in line and helping out with Open EJB.
>
> Thanks
>
> This vote will conclude on Tuesday at 0100 Eastern.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Matt

-sachin

Re: [RESULTS] 2.0-M2 Milestone Approved with 10 +1's and no other votes

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
+1 but I recommend that we remove the M1 binaries.

Regards,
Alan

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
+1...overwrite M1 with M2

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
+1

Anita

--- Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/30/07, Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Since it is a new milestone I would just keep the latest one on the
> download page and get rid of M1 download info. Comments?
>
> +1
>

> Paul

Finding fabulous fares is fun.

Re: [RESULTS] 2.0-M2 Milestone Approved with 10 +1's and no other votes

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
I'll commit the site update as soon as I can verify I have not fat fingered any link.

PS. do we overwrite M1 with M2 or just append M2?
Since it is a new milestone I would just keep the latest one on the download page and get rid of M1 download info. Comments?

Cheers!
Hernan

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
Me too...+1

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Tuesday at 0100 Eastern :)

Odd time, I'll concede.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Jan 26, 2007, at 10:01 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> All,
>
> I have made the binaries from Geronimo 2.0-M2 available for review at:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/2.0-M2-rc1
>
> In this directory you will find the various assemblies for your
> review as well as one massive tar ball that has the various
> artifacts that will ultimately be distributed.
>
> The files are being uploaded as this is being written so give them
> some time.
>
> Also included in this vote are the artifacts for the JACC spec 1.0-
> M2 which is required for 2.0-M2.
>
> Remember...this is a milestone and not a full release.

Wow, this is great!

I want express my strongly held opinion that the new JACC spec should
just be plain released.

In any case here's my +1.

Regards,
Alan

Re: [VOTE] 2.0-M2 Milestone ready for review and JACC Specs

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.
Joe,

I just noticed that yesterday. There is a small bug in CXFBuilder (and
Axis2Builder) that causes the cxf/axis2 dependencies to be always
added to any application. I don't think that's a major issue. I will
be submitting a patch today or tomorrow that will resolve that issue
(among other things).

Jarek

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Here's my +1.

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
+1

I compiled the source.zip from your directory, which also required
building openejb-r500340 and geronimo-jacc_1.1_spec--1.0-M2 locally.
I tested the admin console and plugins,  updating the plugin catalog
to support this new release.  Nice job everyone!

Best wishes,
Paul

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
+1

david jencks

Posted by Gianny Damour <gi...@optusnet.com.au>.
+1

Gianny

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Oh yeah...here is my+1

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 1/29/07, anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> +1
>
>    Please note the following issues for future releases:
> 1. Clicking on LDAP Viewer produces stack trace:
> 08:49:59,484 WARN  [ExecuteQuery] Method execution failed:
> java.lang.Exception: Problem connecting to directory server:
> localhost:1389
>         at
> org.apache.geronimo.console.ldapmanager.LDAPManagerHelper.<init>(LDAPManagerHelper.java:113)

You can avoid this by starting the directory module from the System
Modules portlet before starting the LDAP viewer.

> 2. ClassLoader Viewer throws error:
> 08:51:13,203 ERROR [RowFragment_jsp]] Servlet.service() for servlet
> jsp.WEB_002dINF.aggregation.RowFragment_jsp threw exception
> javax.servlet.ServletException: Java heap space

I think Kevan has fixed this in trunk...

> 3. The Create and Install Plugins page lists all entries as 'not
> available', e.g.
>  * ............................................................
>  * Geronimo Admin Console (Tomcat) (Not available; View Details)
>  * .............................................................
>   It should probably read as 'View Availability'.

I updated the plugin catalog to include 2.0-M2 as a compatible version
for the plugins.  This causes the right plugins to show up as
available.  The updated catalog should be propogated to
geronimo.apache.org within the hour.

Posted by "Christopher M. Cardona" <ch...@gmail.com>.
anita kulshreshtha wrote:
> +1
>
>    Please note the following issues for future releases:
> 1. Clicking on LDAP Viewer produces stack trace:
> 08:49:59,484 WARN  [ExecuteQuery] Method execution failed:
> java.lang.Exception: Problem connecting to directory server:
> localhost:1389
> 	at
> org.apache.geronimo.console.ldapmanager.LDAPManagerHelper.<init>(LDAPManagerHelper.java:113)

By default the LDAP Viewer portlet connects to the embedded Apache DS
and if it's not started it will result to this stack trace and it should
pop some warning message followed by displaying the 'Connect Info' tab
to allow users to change settings and reconnect. We can possibly consume
the exception when DWR creates the LDAP utility class to avoid the stack
trace.

> 2. ClassLoader Viewer throws error:
> 08:51:13,203 ERROR [RowFragment_jsp]] Servlet.service() for servlet
> jsp.WEB_002dINF.aggregation.RowFragment_jsp threw exception
> javax.servlet.ServletException: Java heap space

I also see this randomly on one of my Windows box.

I'm ok with these issues for this release. Here's my +1.

chris

Re: [VOTE] 2.0-M2 Milestone ready for review and JACC Specs

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
+1

   Please note the following issues for future releases:
1. Clicking on LDAP Viewer produces stack trace:
08:49:59,484 WARN  [ExecuteQuery] Method execution failed:
java.lang.Exception: Problem connecting to directory server:
localhost:1389
	at
org.apache.geronimo.console.ldapmanager.LDAPManagerHelper.<init>(LDAPManagerHelper.java:113)

2. ClassLoader Viewer throws error:
08:51:13,203 ERROR [RowFragment_jsp]] Servlet.service() for servlet
jsp.WEB_002dINF.aggregation.RowFragment_jsp threw exception
javax.servlet.ServletException: Java heap space

3. The Create and Install Plugins page lists all entries as 'not
available', e.g.
 * ............................................................
 * Geronimo Admin Console (Tomcat) (Not available; View Details)
 * .............................................................
  It should probably read as 'View Availability'.

Thanks
Anita

--- Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> wrote:

> All,
>
> I have made the binaries from Geronimo 2.0-M2 available for review
> at:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/2.0-M2-rc1
>
> In this directory you will find the various assemblies for your
> review as well as one massive tar ball that has the various artifacts
>
> that will ultimately be distributed.
>
> The files are being uploaded as this is being written so give them
> some time.
>
> Also included in this vote are the artifacts for the JACC spec 1.0-M2
>
> which is required for 2.0-M2.
>
> Remember...this is a milestone and not a full release.
>
> Thanks for David Blevins for being quite the helper tonight in
> getting the Release Notes in line and helping out with Open EJB.
>
> Thanks
>
> This vote will conclude on Tuesday at 0100 Eastern.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Matt

Be a PS3 game guru.