Posted to user@cayenne.apache.org by Øyvind Harboe <oy...@zylin.com> on 2006/06/26 11:46:11 UTC

Using DataPort for backup, restore & repair

I'm thinking about using DataPort to create backups & restore.

I'm adding an admin web-interface to my application to download
backups of the underlying database.

I'll then programmatically use DataPort to generate a HSQLDB or Derby
database, zip it up and let the admin download this .zip file. The
databases in my application are small(<500Mbyte for all forseable
future), so this should be fine.

Already it is apparent that DataPort is not tailored for this purpose
so my plan is to duplicate and mofiy DataPort for my purposes(backup,
restore & repair).

What I'd really like is to have the backup be a single large manually
editable file(XML?) and also have some repair utilities(to fix bugs in
the data such as duplicate primary keys, foreign key references to
non-existent objects, etc.)

W.r.t. restore, I haven't quite understood whether DataPort will be
able to restore databases where circular foreign key relationships
exist, but I'm going to be doing some more testing there.

--
Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com