Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Don Brown <do...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/29 16:09:35 UTC

[ANN] Maven Trap

Off and on, I've played with forks of Maven to improve it more to my
liking.  This time, I've taking a different, hopefully more
sustainable approach - Maven Trap.  It is an executable interception
framework and three modules:

    * Console Colorization - Pages of white or green text is hard to
read and makes it easy for critical errors to slip by. This module
transforms output into ANSI colorized text to make it easier to see
errors and other key events.
    * Always Offline - A build system should not connect the network
unless you explicitly give it permission. This module inverts the
meaning of the "-o" flag to make the default offline, only to be
enabled via the "-o" flag.
    * YAML POM - While XML is great for programs, it sucks for humans.
This module automatically converts your XML pom.xml file into a
YAML-formatted pom.yml for either read-only or editable usage.

Since Maven Trap treats Maven as an opaque black box, what it can do
is limited, however, it provides low-risk integration points that can
be extended fairly easily and should work with most any version of
Maven. Each module can be enabled by setting a unique environment
variable, giving you full control over which features you want without
modifying your Maven installation.

For more information, see
http://mrdonbrown.blogspot.com/2009/09/introducing-maven-trap-honey-pot-for.html

Don

Re: [ANN] Maven Trap

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@gmail.com>.
2009/9/29 Roland Asmann <Ro...@cfc.at>

> :(
> > >
> > > Yeah, silly windows.  ansi.sys apparently isn't shipped anymore, which
> > > makes me sad as a former BBS junkie.  If you find a terminal that
> > > supports ansi color codes, it should work.
> >
> > Eclipse console also don't :(
>
> At least the black/red in eclipse is visible (System.out vs System.err), so
> why should other colors be a problem?

AFAIK the coloring scheme in eclipse console uses some custom eclipse API,
not ANSI control sequences

Re: [ANN] Maven Trap

Posted by Roland Asmann <Ro...@cfc.at>.

Re: [ANN] Maven Trap

Posted by Don Brown <do...@gmail.com>.
Oddly enough, I wrote a plugin for jEdit, a text editor, that
supported telnet and SSH with ANSI color support, so if you switch to
it, and ssh into localhost, you can have color :)

Don

Re: [ANN] Maven Trap

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: [ANN] Maven Trap

Posted by Don Brown <do...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 12:51 AM, nicolas de loof
<ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The idea of wrapping Maven with an interceptor framework to enable plugable
> features without impact is really interesting. Maybe it could help
> contributors to experiment some code, share with others, and expect it to
> get later merged into codebase if community approves the feature. A
> "M2_HOME/dropins" folder for such plugable features could be even better ;)

Not sure how that code would get loaded without playing with
classloaders, but with a more robust shell script, sure, that would be
a nice addition.

Re: [ANN] Maven Trap

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@gmail.com>.