Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Davor Bonaci <da...@google.com.INVALID> on 2016/06/27 23:01:08 UTC

Improvements to issue/version tracking

Hi everyone,
I'd like to propose a simple change in Beam JIRA that will hopefully
improve our issue and version tracking -- to actually use the "Fix
Versions" field as intended [1].

The goal would be to simplify issue tracking, streamline generation of
release notes, add a view of outstanding work towards a release, and
clearly communicate which Beam version contains fixes for each issue.

The standard usage of the field is:
* For open (or in-progress/re-opened) issues, "Fix Versions" field is
optional and indicates an unreleased version that this issue is targeting.
The release is not expected to proceed unless this issue is fixed, or the
field is changed.
* For closed (or resolved) issues, "Fix Versions" field indicates a
released or unreleased version that has the fix.

I think the field should be mandatory once the issue is resolved/closed
[4], so we make a deliberate choice about this. I propose we use "Not
applicable" for all those issues that aren't being resolved as Fixed (e.g.,
duplicates, working as intended, invalid, etc.) and those that aren't
released (e.g., website, build system, etc.).

We can then trivially view outstanding work for the next release [2], or
generate release notes [3].

I'd love to hear if there are any comments! I know that at least JB agrees,
as he was convincing me on this -- thanks ;).

Thanks,
Davor

[1]
https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/managing-versions-802592484.html
[2]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM/fixforversion/12335766/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:version-summary-panel
[3]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12319527&version=12335764

Re: Improvements to issue/version tracking

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.
+1 The release view and especially the automatic generation of release
notes should come in quite handy.

Posted by Davor Bonaci <da...@google.com.INVALID>.
Sounds like we have an unanimous support. Thanks everyone!

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Amit Sela <am...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Lukasz Cwik <lc...@google.com.INVALID>.
+1

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <kl...@google.com.INVALID>.
+1

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

Regards
JB

On 06/28/2016 01:01 AM, Davor Bonaci wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I'd like to propose a simple change in Beam JIRA that will hopefully
> improve our issue and version tracking -- to actually use the "Fix
> Versions" field as intended [1].
>
> The goal would be to simplify issue tracking, streamline generation of
> release notes, add a view of outstanding work towards a release, and
> clearly communicate which Beam version contains fixes for each issue.
>
> The standard usage of the field is:
> * For open (or in-progress/re-opened) issues, "Fix Versions" field is
> optional and indicates an unreleased version that this issue is targeting.
> The release is not expected to proceed unless this issue is fixed, or the
> field is changed.
> * For closed (or resolved) issues, "Fix Versions" field indicates a
> released or unreleased version that has the fix.
>
> I think the field should be mandatory once the issue is resolved/closed
> [4], so we make a deliberate choice about this. I propose we use "Not
> applicable" for all those issues that aren't being resolved as Fixed (e.g.,
> duplicates, working as intended, invalid, etc.) and those that aren't
> released (e.g., website, build system, etc.).
>
> We can then trivially view outstanding work for the next release [2], or
> generate release notes [3].
>
> I'd love to hear if there are any comments! I know that at least JB agrees,
> as he was convincing me on this -- thanks ;).
>
> Thanks,
> Davor
>
> [1]
> https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/managing-versions-802592484.html
> [2]
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM/fixforversion/12335766/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:version-summary-panel
> [3]
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12319527&version=12335764

Jean-Baptiste Onofr�
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Improvements to issue/version tracking

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
My two cents: