Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Charles Daniels <cj...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/21 01:07:54 UTC

Location of non-distributed resource files

Hi All,

I thought I posted this question to the list a couple of days ago, but
I haven't seen it appear anywhere, so I am resending. Please forgive
me if this is a duplicate posting.

I'm following the latest conventions for project layout and I am
wondering if there is a convention for separating resources based on
whether or not they are to be distributed/deployed.

For example, if I understand the convention correctly, files such as
properties files that are to be included in a jar file should reside
under src/main/resources (perhaps with the appropriate package
directory structure).

However, what about other "resources" that are NOT to be included in
the distribution. Are such "resources" also supposed to be placed
under src/main/resources?

For example, I am using the xdoclet plugin to generate my web.xml
file. The plugin allows me to specify files to be merged into the
resulting web.xml file. One example is servlets.xml, where I can
specify third-party servlets to list in web.xml in addition to the
servlets from my own code base. Obviously servlets.xml is used by the
xdoclet plugin only for generating web.xml and servlets.xml will never
be distributed. Therefore, would I still put servlets.xml somewhere
under src/main/resources (perhaps under src/main/resources/xdoclet),
or is there a better place for such resources?

Thanks,
Chuck

RE: Location of non-distributed resource files

Posted by Jeff Jensen <je...@nospam.visi.com>.
Yes, exactly.

To throw a curve, most of the time the tools are great with that
arrangement, yet runtime config for frameworks such as Struts, Tiles,
Spring, et al usually need them in the web content dir, such as
WEB-INF/struts or just organizing files, like WEB-INF/tlds.  Particularly,
the IDE usually needs these files there to facilitate the code/test fast
iterations.

So consider that in your dir arrangement too.

Good question.  I would like to discuss the structure and hope for changes
with the Maven team, but my guess is they are quite down the M2 path already
though, making that change difficult.  I dislike some of the current dir
arrangement for M2, but as long as we can specify the dirs in Maven
configuration, the "default" structure becomes irrelevant.

That said, Brett is very receptive to doc improvements.  Perhaps create a
page for the web docs of this info?

Posted by Charles Daniels <cj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Charles Daniels <cj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicolas Chalumeau <ni...@gmail.com>.