Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Aditya <ad...@augmentiq.co.in> on 2016/09/22 14:54:24 UTC

Spark RDD and Memory

Hi,

Suppose I have two RDDs
val textFile = sc.textFile("/user/emp.txt")
val textFile1 = sc.textFile("/user/emp1.xt")

Later I perform a join operation on above two RDDs
val join = textFile.join(textFile1)

And there are subsequent transformations without including textFile and
textFile1 further and an action to start the execution.

When action is called, textFile and textFile1 will be loaded in memory
first. Later join will be performed and kept in memory.
My question is once join is there memory and is used for subsequent
execution, what happens to textFile and textFile1 RDDs. Are they still
kept in memory untill the full lineage graph is completed or is it
destroyed once its use is over? If it is kept in memory, is there any
way I can explicitly remove it from memory to free the memory?

Re: Spark RDD and Memory

Posted by Datta Khot <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Aditya,

If you cache the RDDs - like textFile.cache(), textFile1().cache() - then
it will not load the data again from file system.

Once done with related operations it is recommended to uncache the RDDs to
manage memory efficiently and avoid it's exhaustion.

Note caching operation is with main memory and persist is to disk.

Datta
https://in.linkedin.com/in/datta-khot-240b544
http://www.datasherpa.io/

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 10:23 AM, Aditya <aditya.calangutkar@augmentiq.co.in

Re: Spark RDD and Memory

Posted by Aditya <ad...@augmentiq.co.in>.
Hi Datta,

Thanks for the reply.

If I havent cached any rdd and the data that is being loaded into memory
after performing some operations exceeds the memory, how it is handled
by spark.
Is previosly loaded rdds removed from memory to make it free for
subsequent steps in DAG?

I am running into an issue where my DAG is very long and all the data
does not fits into memory and at some point all my executors gets lost.

Re: Spark RDD and Memory

Posted by Aditya <ad...@augmentiq.co.in>.
Thanks for the reply.

Re: Spark RDD and Memory