Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by 贾良玉 <ji...@surekam.com> on 2004/10/09 09:46:24 UTC

[users@httpd] why NOT add compress feature into apache?

Hi, all:

I just wonder why not build compress feature into apache so whenever web browser (like IE) sends request to server, it can compress the right contents based on MIME types with the right suitable compress algorithisms, maybe by default, coz most browsers support uncompress algorithisms which can be embedded into HTTP request header?  This will great benefit both sides (client and server), plus it saves a lot network bandwidth.  I would like to see this feature build into all web server, especially into apache.  Any comments?

regards,

Larry

[users@httpd] DIGEST auth.

Posted by Massimo D'Ippolito <ma...@tele2.it>.
 Hi,
 I run apache 2.0.52 on Windows XP pro.
 I implemented correctly BASIC auth., but I've been in trouble with DIGEST
 auth., because I can't understand "htdigest utility" from apache manual.
 In particular I don't know what REALM is.

 any "htdigest string" example?

 Thanks in advance

 Massimo

Re: [users@httpd] why NOT add compress feature into apache?

Posted by 贾良玉 <ji...@surekam.com>.
Hi, Chris:

If  build this at compile time, how does server response to different requests which may ask for different compression methods from different clients, such as IE may want Zip and Netscape may ask for Wizard? The idea is server makes compression decision based on HTTP request, which may ask for different compression methods or no compression at all for the same web page, depends on the clients. Another thing is majority servers do NOT support this compression, why NOT?  Thanks.

regards,

Larry
> Thanks for your quick info.  Is this a standard feature for most web server or just for what you build?  Does it support Linux, Unix and other OS platforms?
>
> cheers,
>
> Larry

Larry,

Apache has many optional modules that can be enabled. Some must be
built at compile time or they do not exist while others are built by
default and yet others can be downloaded from other sites. mod_ssl and
mod_deflate require source that is obtained separately, so it is not
included by default.

It is the server owner who decides what modules to use. mod_deflate is
an optional module. Like mod_ssl, mod_deflate must be built at compile
time. To to do this the zlib source is placed into the srclib
directory - the makefile finds this source and builds mod_deflate. The
module must still be properly enabled in the httpd.conf.

Though I am referring to the Apache for Windows build, I suspect that
this applies to the *nix builds as well.

Chris Lewis

Re: [users@httpd] why NOT add compress feature into apache?

Posted by hunter <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by 贾良玉 <ji...@surekam.com>.
Hi, Chris:

Posted by hunter <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by 贾良玉 <ji...@surekam.com>.
Hi, Nick:

Does Apache support dynamic compression based on HTTP request, such as browser IE may support zip and Netscape may ask for winZar, for the same web pages?  Why majority web servers do NOT support this?

regards,

Larry

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.

--
Nick Kew

Re: [users@httpd] why NOT add compress feature into apache?

Posted by Eimantas Vaiciunas <ei...@sc.vu.lt>.
On Saturday 09 October 2004 07:46, 贾良玉 wrote:
> Hi, all:
>
> I just wonder why not build compress feature into apache so whenever web
> browser (like IE) sends request to server, it can compress the right
> contents based on MIME types with the right suitable compress algorithisms,
> maybe by default, coz most browsers support uncompress algorithisms which
> can be embedded into HTTP request header?  This will great benefit both
> sides (client and server), plus it saves a lot network bandwidth.  I would
> like to see this feature build into all web server, especially into apache.
>  Any comments?
>

> regards,
>
> Larry

Hi

You see, when you send compressed content through the net you save bandwidht,
but at the same time you increase load of servers which is needed to compress
content at desired level (mod_deflate AFAIK has 9 levels)
-----
Eimis