Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Joel Schneider <js...@cariboulake.com> on 2000/09/21 18:51:17 UTC

struts-example now broken?

The project I'm working on is in the process of picking a daily build of
struts upon which, for the time being, we will base our development
efforts.  It would be nice to use the most recent possible build, but
I'm a little concerned about a problem that has cropped up in the 20000920
and later builds.

Using the 20000919 build, I've seen no problem running the
struts-documentation, struts-example, and struts-test applications.
However, although the 20000920 and 20000921 builds are able to serve
struts-documentation and struts-test, (under an identical Orion
configuration) they produce an error message when attempting to display
pages from struts-example:

500 Internal Server Error

javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Missing resources attribute
org.apache.struts.action.MESSAGE
        at
org.apache.struts.taglib.MessageTag.doStartTag(MessageTag.java:360)
        at /index.jsp._jspService(/index.jsp.java:42) (JSP page line 6)
        at com.evermind.server.http.EvermindHttpJspPage.service(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.http.HttpApplication.wa(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.http.JSPServlet.service(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.http.du.rr(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.http.du.forward(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.http.d5.rx(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.http.d5.rw(JAX)
        at com.evermind.util.f.run(JAX)

It seems that, since 20000919, a significant amount of new development
activity has begun.  Advice on whether it might be better to start a
(3-month) project using 20000921 or stick with 20000919 until the
"dust settles" would be appreciated.  We hope to move to version 1.0
when it becomes available...

Joel

Re: struts-example now broken?

Posted by Don Jones <do...@kdsi.net>.
Craig -

We would also appreciate the 'Milestone 0' release and fix path if you can do
this.  We will be completing our  prototype stage and bring in several teams for
our development beginning in the next 1-2 weeks.   We will use the latest release
we can get working at that point and it would be great to be able to have a
relatively stable path to follow until 1.0 is ready.

Cheers,
Don Jones
Chief Architect
Dove Solutions

Posted by Joel Schneider <js...@cariboulake.com>.
On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> However, for people that are using the versions of struts prior to 20000919,
> it would be feasible to post a "Milestone 0" release, and do bug fixes against
> it as a separate code path, without making you have to keep up with the
> current changes.
>
> Would that be of interest to people?

That would be great!

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Joel Schneider wrote:

> The project I'm working on is in the process of picking a daily build of
> struts upon which, for the time being, we will base our development
> efforts.  It would be nice to use the most recent possible build, but
> I'm a little concerned about a problem that has cropped up in the 20000920
> and later builds.
>
> Using the 20000919 build, I've seen no problem running the
> struts-documentation, struts-example, and struts-test applications.
> However, although the 20000920 and 20000921 builds are able to serve
> struts-documentation and struts-test, (under an identical Orion
> configuration) they produce an error message when attempting to display
> pages from struts-example:
>
> 500 Internal Server Error
>
> javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Missing resources attribute
> org.apache.struts.action.MESSAGE
>         at
> org.apache.struts.taglib.MessageTag.doStartTag(MessageTag.java:360)
>         at /index.jsp._jspService(/index.jsp.java:42) (JSP page line 6)
>         at com.evermind.server.http.EvermindHttpJspPage.service(JAX)
>         at com.evermind.server.http.HttpApplication.wa(JAX)
>         at com.evermind.server.http.JSPServlet.service(JAX)
>         at com.evermind.server.http.du.rr(JAX)
>         at com.evermind.server.http.du.forward(JAX)
>         at com.evermind.server.http.d5.rx(JAX)
>         at com.evermind.server.http.d5.rw(JAX)
>         at com.evermind.util.f.run(JAX)
>
> It seems that, since 20000919, a significant amount of new development
> activity has begun.  Advice on whether it might be better to start a
> (3-month) project using 20000921 or stick with 20000919 until the
> "dust settles" would be appreciated.  We hope to move to version 1.0
> when it becomes available...

I think that might be a good idea ... there is going to be a lot more
"construction work" going on in prep for 1.0.  I strive to keep backwards
compatibility whenever possible, but some things are (unfortunately)
guaranteed to be different in 1.0.

However, for people that are using the versions of struts prior to 20000919,
it would be feasible to post a "Milestone 0" release, and do bug fixes against
it as a separate code path, without making you have to keep up with the
current changes.

Would that be of interest to people?

> Joel

Craig