Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by sam liu <sa...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/10 11:02:18 UTC

Start standby namenode using bootstrapStandby hangs

Hi Experts,

My hadoop cluster is enabled HA with QJM and I failed to upgrade it from
version 2.2.0 to 2.4.1. Why? Is this a existing issue?

My steps:
1. Stop hadoop cluster
2. On each node, upgrade hadoop binary with the newer version
3. On each JournalNode:
sbin/hadoop-daemon.sh start journalnode
4. On each DataNode:
sbin/hadoop-daemon.sh start datanode
5. On previous active NameNode:
sbin/hadoop-daemon.sh start namenode -upgrade
6. On previous standby NameNode:
sbin/hadoop-daemon.sh start namenode -bootstrapStandby

Encountered Issue:
Failed to start NameNode service normally with a warning info as below:
2014-09-10 15:57:41,730 WARN org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.Util:
Path /hadoop/hdfs/name should be specified as a URI in configuration files.
Please update hdfs configuration.
After throwing out above warning info, the execution of command hangs there
and did not throw any other warning/error messages any more.

Thanks!

Re: Start standby namenode using bootstrapStandby hangs

Posted by Adam Kawa <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

After throwing out above warning info, the execution of command hangs there
> and did not throw any other warning/error messages any more.

Have you tried to use *jstack* to check what the NameNode is really doing
(e.g. whether it's blocked or waiting for something).

*$ sudo -u hdfs jstack -F $(pgrep -f namenode.NameNode).*

Re: Start standby namenode using bootstrapStandby hangs

Posted by Adam Kawa <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Adam Kawa <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi,