Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by GOMEZ Henri <hg...@slib.fr> on 2002/06/20 10:32:40 UTC

mod_jk 1.2.0 release news

Ok, since it appears we still have problems under heavy
load when using Apache 2.0 (with TC 3.3.1/4.x) or
with Apache 1.3 + Tomcat 4.x, I'll delay the 1.2.0
until we fix that problem.

I'll works on 2 parts :

1) Fix the TC 4.x problems with ajp13 (jtc)
2) Fix the Apache 2.0 problems

For so I'll need some help, especially in TC 4.x area
to determine what's going wrong with TC4 ajp implementation.

-
Henri Gomez                 ___[_]____
EMAIL : hgomez@slib.fr        (. .)

RE: mod_jk 1.2.0 release news

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@mappingsoft.com>.
> From: GOMEZ Henri
>
> Ok, since it appears we still have problems under heavy
> load when using Apache 2.0 (with TC 3.3.1/4.x) or
> with Apache 1.3 + Tomcat 4.x, I'll delay the 1.2.0
> until we fix that problem.
>
> I'll works on 2 parts :
>
> 1) Fix the TC 4.x problems with ajp13 (jtc)
> 2) Fix the Apache 2.0 problems
>
> For so I'll need some help, especially in TC 4.x area
> to determine what's going wrong with TC4 ajp implementation.

OK here are some of my experiments and results:

1. The major problem IMO are the multiple threads that are trying to
acquire the sockets.

To be able to find wtf is going on I've basically made the
jk_open_socket to be the single threaded. I've made the single static
socket, and checking if the connect() retuns EISCONN, and if do, sleep a
while and then try again, until the 20 sec timeout.

And here are the results:

Concurrency Level:      2
Time taken for tests:   20.151314 seconds
Complete requests:      2000
Failed requests:        0
Write errors:           0
Keep-Alive requests:    0

Concurrency Level:      4
Time taken for tests:   20.161001 seconds
Complete requests:      2000
Failed requests:        0
Write errors:           0
Keep-Alive requests:    0

The results looks excellent at first, but as you can guess, the tests
are finishing around 20 secs and the timeout is set to the 20 sec. When
having two worker threads active I'm facing the 1 timeout and that on is
for the second!(remember that) connection (Actually there should be two,
but the second is probably lost cause I'm getting the ENOTSOCK for
connect in the mod_jk.log, on test end).

No matter how many connections there are the second (per-thread)
connection that is made to TC gets timed-out.

2. The reason? IMO we are not closing the first connection, or there is
a bug when reading from the connection for the first time.

3. Cause of that when not having single threaded jk_open_socket the
first connection on each thread is never closed and as apache recycles
its threads, we finally end up with the 2000 or more opened sockets per
10000 requests.

MT.