Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/06 00:40:11 UTC

remove "via"

Hello,

Currently we do this in CHANGES.txt:

LUCENE-XXXX:
  Fixed a horrible nasty bug. (Joe Contributor via John Doe Committer)

I propose we remove "via <committers name>" from CHANGES.txt. I don't
think any users care about who committed changes and I think it
de-emphasizes the actual contributor. If we need to know who committed
something we can find this in SVN logs or on the jira issue.

Opinions?

--
lucidimagination.com

Re: remove "via"

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
+1. If the existing ones are removed, it'll be less likely for me to
see one and think
that's the way it _should_ be done....

Re: remove "via"

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
2012/6/6 Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>

> Hello,
>
> Currently we do this in CHANGES.txt:
>
> LUCENE-XXXX:
>  Fixed a horrible nasty bug. (Joe Contributor via John Doe Committer)
>
> I propose we remove "via <committers name>" from CHANGES.txt. I don't
> think any users care about who committed changes and I think it
> de-emphasizes the actual contributor. If we need to know who committed
> something we can find this in SVN logs or on the jira issue.
>
> Opinions?

+1
Tommaso

Re: remove "via"

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.
+1.

RE: remove "via"

Posted by Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.
+1

Steve

Re: remove "via"

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

> Yes... I think it should be:
>
> LUCENE-XXXX:
>  Fixed a horrible nasty bug. (Joe Contributor)

I think it's very clear who the author was with:

LUCENE-XXXX:
 Fixed a horrible nasty bug. (Joe Contributor via Mr Committer)

I agree that committers should be generous and low key about their own
credit - but I think removing via is not that beneficial to contributor
credit, and is detrimental to committer credit - something that is also
important over the long term. We want to encourage committers to take up
others patches as much as we want to encourage others to make patches.
Until someone is a committer, reviewing and committing someones patch is a
large enough part of the issue to be pointed out. But should be separate
from the pure author section.

I see it as a net/net detrimental change over the long term.

--
- Mark

Re: remove "via"

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Re: remove "via"

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: LUCENE-XXXX:
:   Fixed a horrible nasty bug. (Joe Contributor via John Doe Committer)
:
: I propose we remove "via <committers name>" from CHANGES.txt. I don't

FWIW: as first glance i thought you were suggesting that we should only
use "(Joe Contributor, John Doe Committer)" ... which i would disagree
with becuase it implies John "contributed", when he may not have done
any real work except run the "svn commit"

It seems (on second glance) that you are actually arguing that that the
person who runs "svn commit" should get zero credit in CHANGES.txt --
unless they actually contributed to the development of the patch.

+1 ... sure, why not

-Hoss

Re: remove "via"

Posted by "David Smiley (@MITRE.org)" <DS...@mitre.org>.
-1 to remove all "via"
I agree with the opinions expressed in detail by Mark and Eric.  But I don't
think a committer should feel obliged to add their name if their involvement
seemed particularly light in their opinion.
~ David

-----
 Author: http://www.packtpub.com/apache-solr-3-enterprise-search-server/book

Re: remove "via"

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.
On 06/06/2012 00:40, Robert Muir wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Currently we do this in CHANGES.txt:
>
> LUCENE-XXXX:
>    Fixed a horrible nasty bug. (Joe Contributor via John Doe Committer)
>
> I propose we remove "via<committers name>" from CHANGES.txt. I don't
> think any users care about who committed changes and I think it
> de-emphasizes the actual contributor. If we need to know who committed
> something we can find this in SVN logs or on the jira issue.
>
> Opinions?

-1 for pretty much the same reasons as Mark and Eric listed - some work
is required even for trivial patches, and it also helps to quickly see
which committer was involved in reviewing and signing-off on an issue
(not always obvious from JIRA).

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki

Re: remove "via"

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 6, 2012, at 8:26 AM, Dawid Weiss wrote:

> If you have contributed to
> the issue and your gut feeling is you're part of the patch's effort,
> you should include yourself as the author.

Personally, I prefer the current std - where a strong review and the taking of responsibility earns you a via rather than an authorship tag. I only add myself as an author if I actually contribute more than a trivial change to the code. I have much lower stds for other non committers, if they contribute to discussion in a powerful way, I will add them, but that is my own committer std.

In the case of review and responsibility, I do think it should not diminish from the true author by adding yourself as an author - and I think via has been great for that.

I think the two are a bit mutually exclusive for what I want. I like the current std.

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com

Re: remove "via"

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.
> code change. I think *via* is pretty clear regarding credit, and I think it has value in it's information. Even if you simply commit someone else work, *you* are contributing to the issue. You better have reviewed it, you better be willing to take responsibility for it.

I don't think these are mutually exclusive. If you have contributed to
the issue and your gut feeling is you're part of the patch's effort,
you should include yourself as the author. If the patch is trivial
enough to just apply, I don't think adding the committer's name is
required (like Robert mentioned, bad patches can still be tracked from
revision control history so you'd know whom to blame anyway).

Dawid

Re: remove "via"

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.
I think I understand your viewpoint but I'll stick with mine for now
(that is: I don't care for 'via' attribution in CHANGES.txt, but I
also don't object it -- I'll stick with whatever consensus there will
be).

Dawid

Re: remove "via"

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: remove "via"

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.
My initial +1 was because I guess I don't care if it's either way. As

Re: remove "via"

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Re: remove "via"

Re: remove "via"

Posted by Martijn v Groningen <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1 to remove the via. If someone has done work other then reviewing
and committing then he could add himself as one of the author (Order
is important; contributor first then committer. Depending on the work
done).

Maybe the contributors that have contributed in a release can also be
highlighted inside the release notes? (Just like improvements and
features are highlighted) Tika lists all people (committers and
contributors) that have contributed inside the changes.txt. I think
this will be a nice gesture.

Martijn

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martijn van Groningen

RE: remove "via"

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi Eric,

Re: remove "via"

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>.
I've looked at the "via" in the changelog to figure out which committer works in which areas the most, and therefore who to ping about a patch.  And I do think that shepherding a patch file through to commit is worthy of some credit.  It's often a fair amount of work to evaluate a patch file, offer constructive suggestions to someone who may not be familiar with how the process works, and eventually get it committed.  And it's often fairly thankless since you typically are helping someone else scratch their itch, not your own!

Re: remove "via"

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: remove "via"

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
I dont think there is any consensus here. Lets just keep it as-is.

--
lucidimagination.com

Re: remove "via"

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.