Posted to wss4j-dev@ws.apache.org by sh_santosh <sa...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/07 11:50:16 UTC

Re: Using certificates when communicated from a .NET client to a wss4j service

Hi all,

I want to create keystore and other related files for invoking .Net web
services(WSE 3.0).
I am using jdk1.5.0_05 , jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28, axis 1.3 , wss4j.

How to create keystore, What step need to flow.

Please provide any link and tutorial.

Regards
Santosh

Posted by Fred Dushin <fa...@apache.org>.
Hi Santosh,

If you're just need to create self-signed certificates, your best bet
is to probably use the keytool command, which comes with the JDK:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/index.html#security

If you need to create certificate chains, then you may be better off
using the openssl command, which is written in C, but has been ported
to many operating systems:

http://www.openssl.org/docs/apps/openssl.html

Finally, if you need to build certificate chains in Java, the
BouncyCastle toolkit has APIs for generating and issuing X.509 v1 and
v3 certificates:

http://www.bouncycastle.org/docs/docs1.5/index.html

Hopefully, these links should get you going.

Note that if you are trying to communicate with applications out of
your control (say, on your WSE3 or Tomcat applications), you may need
to either get certificates issued by CAs your mutually trust, or you
may need to add any CAs you create to the trust stores for your
applications. It depends a lot on what you're trying to do.

-Fred