Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Fletcher Cocquyt <fc...@stanford.edu> on 2009/02/10 22:55:38 UTC

[users@httpd] Too many open files (24) - ulimit not obeyed?

Hi, my apache 2.0.52 is logging
Too many open files (24) and throwing HTTP error code 500

the apachectl script sets the max FD to 65536,
and lsof shows ~20,000 entries for httpd
(about 6000 txt - others are pipes to cronolog)

It seems like the ulimit is not obeyed, but I echoed the settings after the
apachectl runs at its at the hard limit.

god@web-04:~ 1:53pm 51 # lsof | wc -l
   20558
god@web-04:~ 1:53pm 52 # lsof | egrep httpd | wc -l
   15978

Does anyone have a hint how to make apache happy and use the 64k limit?

many thanks

[users@httpd] Re: Too many open files (24) - ulimit not obeyed - plimit says yes

Posted by Fletcher Cocquyt <fc...@stanford.edu>.
Arnab Ganguly <aganguly01 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I assume you tried "ulimit -H -n 65536" in the apachectl, also echo the
changed value within the script see the changes are getting affected for the
current process.Next is can you see the TCP states of the socket opened, it is
quite possible the sockets are opened but not closed correctly hence you upper
limit gets exhausted.

Yes, I just verified with plimit:

11400:  /opt/httpd/bin/httpd -k start
   resource              current         maximum
  time(seconds)         unlimited       unlimited
  file(blocks)          unlimited       unlimited
  data(kbytes)          unlimited       unlimited
  stack(kbytes)         8480            130336
  coredump(blocks)      unlimited       unlimited
  nofiles(descriptors)  65536           65536
  vmemory(kbytes)       unlimited       unlimited

So my next move could be to somehow dump all descriptors for the process that
complains its exceeded 64K - but how to do that? (How to trigger a lsof at that
instant?)

Thanks

> Please try out the following and update.-A
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 3:25 AM, Fletcher Cocquyt <fcocquyt <at> stanford.edu>
wrote:Hi, my apache 2.0.52 is logging

Re: [users@httpd] Too many open files (24) - ulimit not obeyed?

Posted by Arnab Ganguly <ag...@gmail.com>.