Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Johan Ekenberg <jo...@ekenberg.se> on 2002/01/06 17:45:27 UTC

Suggestions - TC4 shutdown and restart

Hi!

When trying out different setups with Tomcat 4 there's a repeated need to
restart it. As far as I understand there is no "restart.sh" command. Why?

After running shutdown.sh there's a period of about 10-15 seconds before
Tomcat
actually stops. If startup.sh is run before that, it results in errors and
strange behaviour (because of already bound ports I guess).

Suggestions:
	- Write a restart.sh script. Something better than "shutdown.sh; sleep 15;
startup.sh". 15 seconds is a long time when Apache can restart in one
second. Best would of course be to implement a restart function in TC
itself, something to reopen all logs and reread all configuration files.
More or less what sending a SIGHUP does to many servers.
	- If possible, make the shutdown process quicker.
	- Let shutdown.sh hang (wait) until TC actually quits running, this at
least prevents the user from trying to start it again before it's completely
dead, thereby causing strange errors.

Please Cc: replies to me, I'm not currently subscribed to tomcat-dev.

Best regards,
/Johan Ekenberg