Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by Florent Angebault <fl...@linagora.com> on 2014/12/19 10:48:45 UTC

How to prevent listening on port 8181?

A customer is willing to disable unused listening sockets on their
servers for security reasons.
Since they don't make use of the WebConsole they would like to prevent
ServiceMix from listening on port 8181.

Since I'm not familiar with ServiceMix I suggested to restrict jetty to
listening only on loopback device by editing jetty.xml. But I couldn't
find a way to totally prevent jetty from starting.

After that, I tried to uninstall the jetty feature using karaf but it
seems to cause a lot of trouble: I also had to uninstall many other
features depending on it.
It doesn't seem to be a good approach.

Is there a better solution?

--
Florent Angebault

Re: How to prevent listening on port 8181?

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Florent,

in the etc/org.ops4j.pax.web.cfg, just set:

org.osgi.service.http.enabled=false

it will work ;)

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: How to prevent listening on port 8181?

Posted by Florent Angebault <fl...@linagora.com>.
Thank you Gert, adding "org.osgi.service.http.enabled=false" just works.
No need to remove/rename jetty.xml.
And even better, no need to uninstall features.

I'll still suggest my customer to check for possible regressions.

Thank you again.

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
Hi Florent,

If you add org.osgi.service.http.enabled=false to the
etc/system.properties, that should be the trigger for Pax Web to avoid
starting the default HTTP service. You will probably also have to
remove/rename the etc/jetty.xml file to avoid the Jetty connector
being started anyway when applying the custom configuration.

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen