Posted to soap-dev@xml.apache.org by Chanoch Wiggers <Ch...@wrox.com> on 2001/03/04 15:58:39 UTC

RE: Version 2.1 withdrawn

I tried to check the archives as much as possible before posting this (could
only find 4500 messages:)) but nothing really stands out. I heard a rumour
that v2.1 may be withdrawn because of instability and irresolvable
architectural problems. The archive doesn't seem to mention it at all.

Is there any truth in this?

chanoch

SMTP transport does not work with 2.1 (works with 2.0 fine)

Posted by Ramnivas Laddad <ra...@yahoo.com>.
Hello,

I am trying to run 'stockquote' example over SMTP transport.
It works fine with 2.0 version but when I try with 2.1,
I get a NullPointerException.

(Note, same example works fine with HTTP transport.)

Status update: Contacting Host: smtp.prodigy.net...
Status update: Identifying recipients...
Status update: Transfering Mail...
DONE: Transfer complete.
        at org.apache.soap.rpc.Call.getEnvelopeString(Call.java:163)
        at org.apache.soap.rpc.Call.invoke(Call.java:210)
        at samples.stockquote.GetQuoteSMTP.main(GetQuoteSMTP.java:131)

Looking at the code, it seems that SMTP transport in 2.1 cannot
work. The problem is SOAPSMTPConnection's getResponseSOAPContext()
always returns null (responseSOAPContext member is never initialized).
Has anyone tried running SMTP samples with 2.1? Javadoc for this
method mentions that it is not yet implemented. How should one
create SOAPContext object to be returned by this method?

Can somebody please help.

Thanks.

-Ramnivas

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Re: Version 2.1 withdrawn

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com>.
No, not true.

I wanted to quickly do a 2.2 mostly because of the poor documentation
status of 2.1, however, there was very little interest from other
committers and I gave up.

The 2.1 codebase is stable and it works fine. There are no "instability
and irresolvable architectural problems" in it AFAIK!

Sanjiva.